Re: Ping: BernD - Dialog shows post from wrong newsgroup

Sujet : Re: Ping: BernD - Dialog shows post from wrong newsgroup
De : V (at) *nospam* nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Groupes : news.software.readers
Date : 28. Apr 2021, 08:52:59
Bernd Rose <b.rose.tmpbox@arcor.de> wrote:

On Tue, 27th Apr 2021 19:11:17 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:

Does Dialog have a "feature" that it completes a thread tree back to its
parent even when the article is in a different newsgroup when the parent
is on the same NNTP server?

If you tell Dialog to "Reconstruct thread" (Online menu), it does so
in the current Newsgroup for the currently selected message. Dialog
traverses the References header and places all referenced messages
into the current Newsgroup. This is a deliberately programmed feature,
not a bug.

You can also retrieve messages in the "wrong" Newsgroup with Dialog by
retrieving a message by Messge-ID.

Marcus thought both functions as useful and I wholeheartedly agree.

HTH.
Bernd (not: BernD, btw.)

I don't recall using Reconstruct Thread for that message, but I've used
it often enough that it might've happened.  Perhaps I saw the thread
starting with "Re: <subject>" and wanted to see the parent article to
show more of the past articles of the thread for whatever reason they
weren't showing up in the newsgroup that I visited.  I didn't realize
Dialog would yank the article from a different newsgroup.  I thought it
just got old articles from the same newsgroup.

When I was figuring the problem, I read up on the NNTP commands.  One
was the 'article' command which you gave a message-ID as its argument.
You didn't need to use GROUP to select a newsgroup because the
'article <MID>' command got the article from wherever it is from the
Articles database which also means the 'article' command doesn't show
you in which newsgroup was the message.  So, if Dialog is using the
References header to find the parent articles, yeah, I can see it using
'article <MID>' to rebuild a thread with articles from all over.

When I saw how the 'article <MID>' command works (to retrieve an article
regardless of which newsgroup it was grouped), I can see Dialog using
the same command to reconstruct a thread, and why it ends up with the
same results as the 'article' command: articles from any newsgroup.

I was baffled on how an article in a different newsgroup ended up
showing in another newsgroup.  Good thing I get my hair cut short to
just have fuzz on my head; else, I'd have fistfuls of hair around my
computer chair.  Thanks for the information.