Re: Which Newsgroups Should a Sysop Subscribe?

Sujet : Re: Which Newsgroups Should a Sysop Subscribe?
De : rek2 (at) *nospam* hispagatos.org.invalid (rek2 hispagatos)
Groupes : news.admin.peering
Date : 14. Apr 2024, 18:17:35
On 2024-04-11, Adding Salt To The Wound <Hello.Welcome@example.net> wrote:
On 11/04/2024 03:46, SugarBug wrote:
I want to be sure I am staying current on Usenet and NNTP developments. Which are the newsgroups that NNTP sysops should stay subscribed to? Most important? Least important? Most useful? I want to keep track of the pulse and I would like to avoid information overload.

None. You don't need to use Newsgroups to stay current unless you want
to be current with nonsense going on in these newsgroups. The best way
is to use common sense and and Google is the best way to keep up-to-date
with new things happening in the IT world. Newsgroups are for trolling
and scoring points against each other and people with any sound brain
should stay away from them.

There are no developments in "Usenet and NNTP". Nobody is working on
anything new. It is dull and outdated.

This is not true, and very vage old way of seen things,
at least there has been 4 new nodes in the last 12 months that carry
only text, I am working on a usenet rust client and I know someone else
estarted to add nntp/usenet capability to their new email client.
In our particular node we are getting around 10-20 new users every
month, true  they usually just post on our hispagatos.* root but
also contribute to some alt.* etc.
There has been new groups added and some old removed.

we FINALLY have google leave us alone, usenet now is better than
in the last 10 years.
choose a node that has only plain text groups and are active
with spam and bs.

I take usenet anytime over any centralized, and data mining corporate
social networks on the http protocol, only  the fediverse has my
claps, specially mastodon.

Happy Hacking
ReK2

--