Re: Which Newsgroups Should a Sysop Subscribe?

Sujet : Re: Which Newsgroups Should a Sysop Subscribe?
De : candycanearter07 (at) *nospam* candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Groupes : news.admin.peering
Date : 15. Apr 2024, 18:00:13
Marco Moock <mm+usenet-es@dorfdsl.de> wrote at 18:16 this Sunday (GMT):

On 2024-04-11, Adding Salt To The Wound <Hello.Welcome@example.net>
wrote:
On 11/04/2024 03:46, SugarBug wrote:
I want to be sure I am staying current on Usenet and NNTP
developments. Which are the newsgroups that NNTP sysops should
stay subscribed to? Most important? Least important? Most useful?
I want to keep track of the pulse and I would like to avoid
information overload.
None. You don't need to use Newsgroups to stay current unless you
want to be current with nonsense going on in these newsgroups. The
best way is to use common sense and and Google is the best way to
keep up-to-date with new things happening in the IT world.
Newsgroups are for trolling and scoring points against each other
and people with any sound brain should stay away from them.

There are no developments in "Usenet and NNTP". Nobody is working
on anything new. It is dull and outdated.

This is not true, and very vage old way of seen things,
at least there has been 4 new nodes in the last 12 months that carry
only text, I am working on a usenet rust client and I know someone
else estarted to add nntp/usenet capability to their new email client.

Which nodes are you talking about?

In our particular node we are getting around 10-20 new users every
month, true  they usually just post on our hispagatos.* root but
also contribute to some alt.* etc.

That sounds good.

I take usenet anytime over any centralized, and data mining corporate
social networks on the http protocol, only  the fediverse has my
claps, specially mastodon.

I've joined that too, but the amount of bullshit is incredible - almost
the same as on Twitter.
It also doesn't offer a good discussion platform because it doesn't
have real threads.

Yeah, mastadon isn't great IMO.