Re: getFirstDayOfMonth()

Sujet : Re: getFirstDayOfMonth()
De : spibou (at) *nospam* gmail.com (Spiros Bousbouras)
Groupes : comp.lang.c
Date : 13. Mar 2024, 15:38:36
On Wed, 13 Mar 2024 06:01:22 +0100
jak <nospam@please.ty> wrote:
Instead, I would be curious to understand why nobody follows a standard
about the dates. Let's take this date for example: January 1, 1580.
On the web 50% of the sites searched with "day of week calculator" say
that the day was Tuesday while the others say it was Friday. Excel and
Calc (OpenOffice) say it was Friday and the same says "cal" on *nix if
the "--iso" option is not used. So, someone follows the ISO convention
and others Julian but I read somewhere that the ISO convention had to be
followed in the computer scope.

For the year 1580 what would be the appropriate standard ? I don't see any
point using a modern standard for 1580. The day of the week is a cultural
matter depending on era and location so what useful cultural information
would you get by knowing that according to a modern standard , January 1
1580 was whatever day ?