Re: "Python is 71x Slower, Uses 75x More Energy, Than C" - YouTube

Sujet : Re: "Python is 71x Slower, Uses 75x More Energy, Than C" - YouTube
De : jseigh_es00 (at) *nospam* xemaps.com (jseigh)
Groupes : comp.lang.c++
Date : 31. Jul 2024, 14:13:11
On 7/30/2024 8:05 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
"Python is 71x Slower, Uses 75x More Energy, Than C" - YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4c6nFGt1iM
I don't know for sure but I suspect part of it is Python using reference counting for it's memory managment.  Maybe they should compare it to jython.
 I am not buying that C++ is slower than Rust.

Rustaceans make a lot of unsupported claims.  They also claim without any support that java is slower than rust.  Apparently they are completely ignorant of the fact that java uses JIT compilation and can dynamically tune performance hot spots, and if they are using reference counting to manage memory it's going to perform very badly compared to Java GC.
Rust uses the llvm front end, so somebody would have to explain how a Rust program would be faster than a C++ program compiled with llvm.
Joe Seigh