Re: getFirstDayOfMonth()

Sujet : Re: getFirstDayOfMonth()
De : Keith.S.Thompson+u (at) *nospam* gmail.com (Keith Thompson)
Groupes : comp.lang.c
Date : 13. Mar 2024, 16:36:10
jak <nospam@please.ty> writes:
jak ha scritto:
bart ha scritto:
For most practical purposes and for the lifetimes of most of the 8
billion people on the planet, leap years do come every four years.

That's the case for years 1901 to 2099.

What exactly do you expect those news readers that reach a massive
audience to do, get into those details of being divisible or not by
100 or 400? Maybe they should also mention odd years like 1752
where there was a calendar reform for even more exceptions to the
rule.

Half the audience probably barely know what a leap year is.

You are right, but this usenet is followed by people, professionals and
computer enthusiasts. I would like to try to make a statistics but I
think at least 70% read somewhere how to determine if a year is a leap.
I, example, discovered this by writing my first management program in
Rmcobol almost 40 years ago.

Instead, I would be curious to understand why nobody follows a standard
about the dates. Let's take this date for example: January 1, 1580.
On the web 50% of the sites searched with "day of week calculator" say
that the day was Tuesday while the others say it was Friday. Excel and
Calc (OpenOffice) say it was Friday and the same says "cal" on *nix if
the "--iso" option is not used. So, someone follows the ISO convention
and others Julian but I read somewhere that the ISO convention had to be
followed in the computer scope.

Where did you read that?  ISO has no police force.  Anyone writing a
program or a web page can do whatever they like.  Sure, some things you
can do with a web page might be illegal, but using a non-ISO calendar
standard isn't one of them.

As you probably know, the transition from the Julian to the Gregorian
calendar happened at different times in different parts of the world:
1582 in Roman Catholic countries, 1752 in Britain and its posessions
(including what later became the US), and as late as the 1920s in some
places.  (The "cal" command on my system has no "--iso" option.)

Working, but not speaking, for Medtronic