Re: [Meta] Personal announcement

Sujet : Re: [Meta] Personal announcement
De : chris.m.thomasson.1 (at) *nospam* gmail.com (Chris M. Thomasson)
Groupes : comp.lang.c
Date : 11. May 2024, 22:47:15
On 5/11/2024 1:10 PM, Malcolm McLean wrote:
On 11/05/2024 14:58, Phil Carmody wrote:
Malcolm McLean <malcolm.arthur.mclean@gmail.com> writes:
On 07/05/2024 16:52, DFS wrote:
On 5/7/2024 3:15 AM, Malcolm McLean wrote:
On 07/05/2024 00:43, DFS wrote:
On 4/29/2024 12:10 PM, Malcolm McLean wrote:
Some of you will have noticec a rather erratic posting pattern
from me recently, with some unexplained absences whereas
previously I would post almost evey single day.

The reason is that in my life outside C programming I have been
diagnosed with terminal cancer, and the illness is now in a phase
where hospital stays and such absences are inevitable. However I
expect to post for a few more months, and then, of course,
probably the last post will be made without me being aware that
this is to be the last.

And I've just had to say that I can no longer write software for
money. Whether I can write software without the pressures of it
being a formal job or not, I don't know. And whilst C has aways
been a very important of my adult life, for obvius reasons my
religious interests are now taking priority.

I don't post here much, but you helped me out a few times in the past.

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis.

What kind of cancer?

It started off as a bowel / rectal cancer, but it has metastatised.

It looks like your 5-year survival rate is as high as 70% (plus
extra points for good behavior).  So you have some code left in you!

Unfortunately that is very unlikely to be the case for my specific
situation. But the oncologist was a bit vague on the prognoisis. But I
can't as easily type now, for example. It might be more months than I
expect, however.

Wishing you all the best, Malcolm, and as a bit of a beer nerd I hope
you at least get your taste for that back, even if it's a low alcohol
variety.

Just saw the GP yesterday. I gave up alcohol for Lent, was too ill to think of drinking on Easter Sunday, then was in hospital from Easter Monday, and patients are not encouraged to drink. So that was a long period of not drinking. And on discharge I felt unable to face it. But the public house social mix doesn't really work when you are on soft drinks. And the GP said that I should not be feeling this way, and I'm getting some anti-nausea tablets. So maybe. And alcohol is a source of very digestible calories.
Right. Some of the beer out there is basically liquid bread anyway... Can you keep any solid food down? Do you feel a sense of "hyper nausea"? As if its hard to actually swallow food? Get a rather quick gag reflex? You can start with a teaspoon of beer. See how it goes down. Also, if you are starting to get really messed up and have no appetite at all... Well, you can try a micro dose of some marijuana. See if it helps at all, or makes things worse? I just don't know.