Re: [OT] Re: Music while in a coding session...

Sujet : Re: [OT] Re: Music while in a coding session...
De : david.brown (at) *nospam* hesbynett.no (David Brown)
Groupes : comp.lang.c comp.lang.c++
Date : 19. Jul 2024, 13:14:39
On 18/07/2024 20:43, Chris M. Thomasson wrote:
On 7/18/2024 12:31 AM, David Brown wrote:
On 17/07/2024 22:42, Chris M. Thomasson wrote:
On 7/17/2024 12:45 AM, David Brown wrote:
On 17/07/2024 02:07, Lynn McGuire wrote:
On 7/15/2024 7:53 PM, John McCue wrote:

This is OT, usually I would ignore, but :)

I have never done that over the many decades I have
been a programmer.  I would suggest you do no more then
say 12 hours straight.  Mistakes will happen plus, this
will affect your health.

Just a friendly warning.

Not OT, most programmers love music.  The arithmetic of music draws our attention to it.

What about using C++ to create music (say, MIDI for now) that you can listen to while creating other music and/or other fun things indeed?

What about not posting random youtube links at all?
 They are not random... I used to give a link without any title information. So that was bad.
There is no information content in them, no pattern, no purpose - they are just noise here, based on random thoughts you have at the time. Would it have made any difference to people in these groups if the links had come from some youtube random link generator?  I don't think so.  So they are random.
Giving the links a title does mean that we can all see they are random and pointless without clicking on them (not that people did that anyway).
Now, if the links were titled "This is the best explanation of CRTP I have seen" or "This video shows the real-world effects of C++ execution policies", then that would be fine.  But they are not so titled.
Chris, you post some interesting and thoughtful things at times.  You have long experience, and you are energetic about sharing it.  But far too often, you communicate as if this were a social media site for bored teenagers.  A Usenet group is not a formal academic forum, but most regulars prefer a higher signal to noise ratio than you manage with your incessant nonsense posts.

Please understand the topicality of these groups - then you can make a conscious decision to stretch the topicality if you think it is appropriate, instead of just spilling every stray thought that passes through your head.  (Again - I personally am not as rigid about sticking to topicality as some regulars, but I think it is important not to get carried away, and it is important to know when something is not even close to topical.  Technical groups need to maintain a level of focus or they either disappear entirely, or descend into cesspits like sci.electronics.design.)
 Have you ever written a C++ program to generate music in wav and/or midi form?
No.  And if I had, it would not be relevant here.
As I have said many times, a /little/ bit of OT discussion is, IMHO, fine.  You write some interesting programs, and some people are going to be interested in them.  So if you have written some code that you think others will want to hear about, then you might /occasionally/ start a new OT thread about it.  Talk about the code.  If there is interest and a thread forms, fine.
But imagine what would happen if /everyone/ in this group posted about every program they have written in C or C++, as well as posts with links to every youtube video they found interesting.  Clearly that would be a complete mess, destroying the group.  So why should /you/ get to post like that?  What makes you think you are so special that other people have to read about ever little fleeting thought that passes through your mind?

These groups are about the /languages/ C and C++.  They are not about programs that happen to be written in those languages, and certainly not about what was created using programs that happened to be written in those languages.

So if you've written a program in C++, it is topical to discuss particular aspects of the code that you think were hard, or interesting, or that you have questions about, or that use unusual techniques that you want to share with others.  The complete program is not topical, nor are its uses.

Can you appreciate the difference?

 Yes.
Really?

Well, I am now trying to give the titles the youtube links I post, did you notice that?
Yes.  I do appreciate that - it makes them less obnoxious, but no more relevant.

They are not random.
Of course they are.  They might not seem random to /you/, but that's irrelevant - they are functionally random to anyone else who sees them.
I'm glad you are having fun with your programming, but we don't need to hear about it.

 Keeping all of this contained in this thread should be easy for others to just block, ignore, ect...?
That is certainly true, and it is (to me, anyway) very much less annoying when these kinds of posts are kept in one thread, and don't mess up interesting topical threads.