Re: DECIMAL POINT IS COMMA

Sujet : Re: DECIMAL POINT IS COMMA
De : nospam (at) *nospam* needed.invalid (Paul)
Groupes : comp.lang.c
Date : 16. Sep 2024, 21:15:09
On Mon, 9/16/2024 6:56 AM, Bonita Montero wrote:
Am 16.09.2024 um 08:43 schrieb Lawrence D'Oliveiro:

This posting was completely baffling to me, until I realized ...

I'm from Europe and I can handle both types of decimal points.

I'm from "somewhere" and 1000 is 1000 here. Punctuation
is for Excel spreadsheets :-)

*******

The hardware has a declaration, so in principle you don't
even have to measure anything.

   "Since the family 10h (Barcelona/Phenom), AMD chips feature a constant TSC,
    which can be driven either by the HyperTransport speed or the highest P state.
    A CPUID bit (Fn8000_0007:EDX_8) advertises this;
    Intel-CPUs also report their invariant TSC on that bit."

In Linux, there is "constant_tsc" in the CPU feature list.
Both my machines have it (an Intel machine ten years old,
an AMD machine two years old). Your machine would list it
in /proc/cpuinfo.

So you didn't write that code for your 7950X, since you
could just check the CPU feature bit instead for the
property of "constant_tsc", AKA invariant TSC. Your CPU
is not "synchronized" -- the hardware just does not vary
across the face of the CPU. It's like an entirely different
feature in a sense.

The way Wiki puts this:

   "The specific processor configuration determines the behavior.
    Constant TSC behavior ensures that the duration of each clock tick
    is uniform and makes it possible to use the TSC as a wall-clock timer
    even if the processor core changes frequency. This is the
    architectural behavior for all later Intel processors."

   Paul