Re: How will the police find me.

Sujet : Re: How will the police find me.
De : usenet (at) *nospam* arnowelzel.de (Arno Welzel)
Groupes : comp.mobile.android
Date : 21. May 2024, 10:29:50
micky, 2024-05-20 03:46:

Going hiking tomorrow.  Finally realized I was sending my location to my
ex-GF, but I hadn't told her how to see it.   Assuming the worst, that I
break my leg and can't get off the trail, but the phone is broken or
stolen, and assuming she actually notices it's 6PM and I still haven't
texted her to say I'm done, she can see my phone's location using the
simple instructions I found on the web.

An Android device can not help you in an emergency if it breaks or the
battery is dead.

Therefore do not go alone!

[...]
Or is my friend supposed to somehow send the location information she
can see on her phone to their phone?   How?

You can share your location on Google Maps with another user either for
a limited time period or until you turn off this option again:

<https://support.google.com/maps/answer/7326816?hl=en>

Besides that, OSMAnd also supports location sharing.

<https://osmand.net/docs/user/plugins/osmand-tracker/>

Regardless which solution you use - the other person also needs Google
Maps or OSMAnd to view your current location.

But keep in mind that having GPS enabled all the time and sending
location updates drains your battery quite fast. So also keep a big
power bank with you. Also keep in mind that the device can fail and/or
batteries can get empty.

Therefore do not go alone!

--
Arno Welzel