Re: text editor

Sujet : Re: text editor
De : this (at) *nospam* ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Groupes : comp.mobile.android
Date : 08. Mar 2024, 16:49:09
Mickey D <mickeydavis078XX@ptd.net> wrote:
Does Android have the concept of a text editor like Linux does?
You know, you tap on any text file & it comes up in that text editor?
 The text file for Windows & Linux is OUTSIDE of the text editor.
The text editor itself doesn't store anything in its private space.
Everything is stored in the text file.
 You know, like how Windows & Linux does things.
Does Android have that concept?
 Everything I've seen so far in Android works different than that.
The editors seem to keep the text file inside of the editor.
In some special proprietary format.
And database.
 An example is Joplin. And Tasks. And Notes. And MS Office.  I don't want that.
I just want a text editor just like Windows & Linux does things.
 Usually I copy the text file over to Android from Windows.
But sometimes I make the text file on Android with a file manager.
 Is it possible to have a normal text editor on Android
so that I can open any text file from anywhere in that Android text editor?
  I feel your pain! :-)
  I don't do much editing on Android, but when I have to, it's indeed a
pain to edit a simple POA (Plain Old ASCII) text file.
  My first so-so solution was 'FX TextEdit' which is part of the 'FX
File Explorer' [1].
  As I'm an 'ex' Unix person, I do all my text file editing on Windows
in vim, so I looked for a vim-for-Android and got 'DroidVim' [2].
DroidVim is usable, but the small screen and keyboard of a phone make it
still quite akward to use. Also the CUI (Character/'Console' UI) of vim
doesn't quite fit the GUI of Android.
  N.B. For both FX TextEdit and DroidVim, the text file must have a .txt
extension, otherwise a file manager can not find an app to open the
file.
  Personally, I would prefer something like (Windows) Notepad  on
Android, but haven't found that yet (but haven't being looking very hard
yet).
[1] <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nextapp.fx>
[2] <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.droidvim>