Re: app to read a book to me on an airplane

Sujet : Re: app to read a book to me on an airplane
De : robin_listas (at) *nospam* es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Groupes : comp.mobile.android
Date : 12. Apr 2024, 13:02:35
On 2024-04-12 07:19, VanguardLH wrote:
"Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

On 2024-04-12 02:46, VanguardLH wrote:
Android Owner <android@google.com> wrote:

Will be traveling and I don't travel much. I have a few ebooks in PDF
(and other) formats.

Is there a simple to use free app without ads that will just read the book
to me while I'm on the airplane (without Internet)?

Your Android phone should already have text-to-speech.  See:

Needs internet and has privacy caveats.
 Privacy on a *published* book?  The OP never mentioned that he is
reading someone's private "book" that no one else has.
True.

 If no Internet access is available (the airplane is old, so devoid of
Internet), a local text-to-speech program will require a lot more smarts
which means more code.
Last time I tried it hinted that the smarts weren't local to my phone.
None of the flights I took recently had WiFi, and they were modern planes. Maybe first class.

 Are you sure Android's text-to-speech API mandates Internet access?
 https://developer.android.com/reference/android/speech/tts/TextToSpeech
 I enabled Airplane mode on my phone.  I selected some text in a web
browser.  A popup menu appears with a 3-dot menu on the right side where
I can select Read Aloud.  It worked.  Doesn't look like an Internet
connection is required.  You do have to download a language pack if one
is not already installed for your language.
That's good to know.
--
Cheers, Carlos.