Re: Is my phone on or off

Sujet : Re: Is my phone on or off
De : V (at) *nospam* nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Groupes : comp.mobile.android
Date : 05. May 2024, 04:37:38
MajorLanGod <lonelydad58@gmail.com> wrote:

VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

MajorLanGod <lonelydad58@gmail.com> wrote:

If you have to start/boot your phon to use it, it is off. Otherwise
it is on. Listening or not when idle shoud be configurabe.

To whom were you supposedly responding?
- There is no References header in your article which would show the
  parent article for a reply.
- You did not add an attribution line citing the author of the parent
  article.

I'm sorry. Since my response wss under 'Is my phone on or off' it
would be obvious I was just jumping into the conversation. I also
didn't want to be tagginh onto the end of one of the long chains of
previous respones I just hung it under the original query.

It wasn't a reply despite looking like one.   You started a new thread,
and didn't even quote [part of] the parent article while attributing the
author of the parent article.  Just a new post out of the blue.

Without the References header to link to the parent article, you didn't
"tag onto the end" of anything.  Your article was not "hung under the
original query".  Assuming (very ancient) NNTP clients will fallback to
threading using the Subject header is iffy.  That threading method often
links together unrelated threads, and many clients won't do it because
it is unreliable.  That was the whole point of introducing the
References header over 46 years ago (RFC 733), because threading by
Subject sucked!  That would have every article with the same Subject
linked together, and does not ensure proper hierarchy (who said what to
whom).  Hierarchical threading is by the chain of MIDs in the References
header, not by some common string in the Subject header that is often
not unique.

Perhaps it was a very old thread.  It's not in my client (which purges
messages older than 180 days) when I search on "is my phone on or off"
in Subject.  Tried to reconstruct the thread, but then you didn't link
to the parent article, so nothing to go after.  Google Groups is dead
unless the thread is old, and searching on Subject gets a lot of
unrelated hits there (2352 hits in comp.mobile.android).  If I enclose
the Subject string in double-quotes trying to search on that exact
string, and add comp.mobile.android, I get zero hits.  Google's search
on Usenet has been extremely poor for many years as they degenerated the
Usenet groups they carry.  Search on Subject is not available at the
Howard Knight archive site, just MID search is supported, but then there
is no MID for parent article since there was no References header, or
the parent's MID cited in the pseudo-reply.

I understood your first sentence.  It was the second that was confusing.
Listening for what?  The phone's microphone?  For Bluetooth connect
requests?  For commands via USB using ADB?  For remote access connects?
That statement without context is what intrigued me.

Got the MID for the parent article for your pseudo-reply?

In the future, when you decide to reply but aren't really replying and
instead starting a new thread, you might want to cite the parent
article's MID header along with quoting some of the parent article's
body along with an attibution line for its author.  Then others can see
the context for what thread you meant to continue but instead started in
a new thread.

You piqued my curiousity, but I could not find the parent article or its
thread to which it belonged.