Re: How will the police find me.

Sujet : Re: How will the police find me.
De : this (at) *nospam* ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Groupes : comp.mobile.android
Date : 22. May 2024, 17:28:22
micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
In comp.mobile.android, on 22 May 2024 13:39:35 GMT, Frank Slootweg
<this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:

micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
[...]
Not only that. the AllTrails map showed my location and it zigzagged
near the trail I was supposed to take, even though I was almost always
right on the trail I was supposed to take.  I think this was because GPS
is not perfect

 Was this in a tree covered area or/and with overcast weather? Both

Yes, both of those.

tend to weaken the GPS signal, which is already a very weak signal to
start with. (Imagine the satellites transmitting from some 20,000km
(12,500mi) above the earth to your smartphone.)

But it isn't the strength of the signal that matters, it's the time
delay iirc.   Does Going through clouds and leaves delay the signal?

  The signal strength does matter, because if it's too low, the
smartphone can't pick it up. I.e. similar to a 'cell' signal, if it's
too weak, you won't get a connection.

  In my experience, both with 'real' GPSs - i.e. dedicated devices - and
smartphones, trees and clouds are the main problems for getting a fix.

  Indoors is also a problem, but it's not often needed in such
circumstances. In a vehicle, it's mostly not a problem, because of the
amount of glass. I even successfully used it in a normal commercial
airplane. (The plane didn't have a screen showing its current position,
etc., so I took my tablet, fired up OsmAnd+ and held the tablet somewhat
close to the window.)

 Moral: Get out of the woods and only hike on a sunny day! :-)

[...]