Re: How will the police find me.

Sujet : Re: How will the police find me.
De : andrew (at) *nospam* spam.net (Andrew)
Groupes : comp.mobile.android
Date : 23. May 2024, 04:05:48
micky wrote on Wed, 22 May 2024 20:52:26 -0400 :

Are you saying that no one texts or reads texts or articles on their
cellphone while driving?  And that that isn't dangerous?   that it
doesnt' cause accidents?

Thanks for asking. It's only fools who don't question common myths.
I'm a scientist. My words below are written very clearly around facts.

I'm saying we covered this many times where the US Census Bureau has been
publishing *ACCURATE* accident-rate statistics for all fifty (48 at the
start) states since the 1920s, and their data on accident rates for each
and every one of the fifty states show NO ADVERSE EFFECT WHATSOEVER on the
accident rate for any state and for all states in the periods before
cellphones, during cellphone ownership skyrocketing, and afterward.

The accident rate is slowly going down; but it certainly didn't go up
     *That's just a fact.*

Only fools dispute facts (that's why they're fools).

None of those morons who claim that have ever looked at the accident rates.

How do you know that?
There are dozens of factors that have an effect on the accident rate.

Nay, thousands. We covered this.

We covered that the NHTSA focused on and listed distractions, where in the
top 10 distractions were cellphone use while driving (understandably so).

There were and are *always* distractions while driving, where cellphones
merely moved one of those old top ten distractions to position number 11.

In addition to the SOS apps, Satellite communications and HAM radio
previously discussed in this group (assuming a broken leg, for example),
for the OP, there's a free geofence app on iOS & Android which will alert
anyone he wants to alert the instant his phone goes into our out of the
area (of course, it needs to have cellular coverage at sending time).

The fact that cellphones are helpful, and can call the police or an
ambulance better than having no phone*** can does not mean that at other
times cellphones are the danger.  Right?

What you have here is a fact. The accident rate is unchanged.
What you need to figure out is why.

The fact is simple (as only fools dispute facts).
The why isn't so simple - but there are reasons why.

But until you agree with the fact, you have no business working on the why.
You should just look up the old threads which contained the URLs.

I'm tired of digging them up because this is old news that cellphones never
changed the accident rate in the United States (or Australia, by the way).

***But those tasks only start after there is an accident and/or only
after the car has stopped.

There's a reason I spoke about accident rates.
a. First off, they're normalized by miles driven
b. Which itself is a complicated function of very many things
c. And secondly, you can't have injuries without accidents first

So injuries (including fatalities) are a second-order effect.

If we don't know the first order effects, we have no business discussing
second-order effects (which also knock your socks off if you knew them).

In summary, every moron on the planet believes that cellphones increased
accident rates - because they're morons - and because three entities take
anecdotal evidence (that accidents occur) and blow them up out of
proportion.
1. Personal injury lawyers (who benefit from the lawsuits)
2. Insurance companies (who benefit from raising rates)
3. Police (who benefit from ticketing)

Try to find a cite please that is NOT from one of those three that shows
reliable data before, during & after cellphone ownership skyrocketing
rates, regarding the accident rate in the United States.

And yet when you look for the accident rates from the US Census Bureau (who
keeps good data) - they didn't go up. They just steadily went down in the
United States in the reliable records (which have been kept since the 1920s
and are the best there is).

Secondly, cellphones certainly are a distraction - no doubt about it. The
NHTSA listed the top ten distractions and cellphones kicked one of them off
the list and replaced them (which should give you a hint as to why the
accident rate remained unchanged - but nobody is ready for the real science
yet).

Thirdly, any talk about injuries/fatalities is premature because that's a
second-order effect. First you have to understand the first-order issues.

And lastly, even I, a trained scientist, *would have thought* that
cellphones must be such a distraction that even I (a trained scientist)
would have thought they certainly would have raised the accident rate.

And yet, when I looked, I found out that they didn't.
And then I looked for why.

Where the why turned out to be obvious - once you realize there have always
been top ten distractions while driving - and where cellphones merely
swapped one of them and pushed another into position 11.

But nobody is ready for the why until they look at the facts.
Google it. We've discussed this many times on this very newsgroup.

The links are in those threads (I'm not bothering to look them up for you).