Re: The Dumbphone Boom Is Real

Sujet : Re: The Dumbphone Boom Is Real
De : danmin (at) *nospam* danminart-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (Danart)
Groupes : comp.mobile.android
Date : 29. May 2024, 02:30:01

 > stan wrote:
 > AI will help accelerate this trend.  It's already becoming
annoying.  Who
 > needs 100 different AI sources pushing their crap in your face
every
 > minute?
 >
 > Will Stults spent too much time on his iPhone, doom-scrolling the
site
 > formerly known as Twitter and tweeting angrily at Elon Musk as if
the
 > billionaire would actually notice. Stults’s partner, Daisy
Krigbaum, was
 > addicted to Pinterest and YouTube, bingeing videos on her iPhone
before
 > going to sleep. Two years ago, they both tried Apple’s Screen Time
 > restriction tool and found it too easy to disable, so the pair
decided to
 > trade out their iPhones for more low-tech devices. They’d heard
about so-
 > called dumbphones, which lacked the kinds of bells and whistles—a
high-
 > resolution screen, an app store, a video camera—that made
smartphones so
 > addictive. But they found the process of acquiring one hard to
navigate.
 > “The information on it was kind of disparate and hard to get to. A
lot of
 > people who know the most about dumbphones spend the least time
online,”
 > Krigbaum said. A certain irony presented itself: figuring out a way
to be
 > less online required aggressive online digging.
 >
 > The couple—Stults is twenty-nine, and Krigbaum is twenty-five—saw a

 > business opportunity. “If somebody could condense it and simplify
it to
 > the best options, maybe more people would make the switch,”
Krigbaum said.
 > In late 2022, they launched an e-commerce company, Dumbwireless, to
sell
 > phones, data plans, and accessories for people who want to reduce
time
 > spent on their screens. This wasn’t Stults’s first attempt at
 > entrepreneurship; his past efforts included a made-in-America
clothing
 > brand in Colorado (“That went under,” he said) and a coffee shop in
the
 > back of an ill-attended Hollywood comedy club (“A doomed
enterprise,”
> [...]
pack each
 > order by hand, sometimes with handwritten notes. They have not yet
quit
 > their day jobs, which are in the service industry, but Dumbwireless
sold
 > more than seventy thousand dollars’ worth of products last month,
ten
 > times more than in March, 2023. Krigbaum and Stults noticed an
 > acceleration in sales last October, which they speculate may have
had
 > something to do with the onslaught of holiday-shopping season. Some
of
 > their popular phone offerings include the Light Phone, an e-ink
device
 > with almost no apps; the Nokia 2780, a traditional flip phone; and
the
 > Punkt., a calculator-ish Swiss device that looks like something
designed
 > for Neo to carry in “The Matrix” (which, to be fair, is a movie of
the
 > dumbphone era).
 >
 > The growing dumbphone fervor may be motivated, in part, by the
discourse
 > around child safety online. Parents are increasingly confronted
with
 > evidence that sites like Instagram and TikTok intentionally try to
hook
 > their children. Using those sites can increase teens’ anxiety and
lower
 > their self-esteem, according to some studies, and smartphones make
it so
 > that kids are logged on constantly. Why should this situation be
any
 > healthier for adults? After almost two decades with iPhones, the
public
 > seems to be experiencing a collective ennui with digital life. So
many
 > hours of each day are lived through our portable, glowing screens,
but the
 > Internet isn’t even fun anymore. We lack the self-control to wean
 > ourselves off, so we crave devices that actively prevent us from
getting
 > sucked into them. That means opting out of the prevailing
technology and
 > into what Cal Newport, a contributing writer for The New Yorker,
has
 > called a more considered “digital minimalism.”
 >
 > The Light Phone débuted in 2017, before smartphone exhaustion
became a
 > mainstream ailment. The company’s co-founders, Kaiwei Tang and Joe
 > Hollier, have sold tens of thousands of phones. The Light Phone II,

 > released in 2019, features a monochrome touch screen that allows
users to
 > make calls, send text messages, and use a few custom apps: an alarm
and
 > timer, a calendar, directions, notes, music and podcast libraries.
There
 > are no social-media apps or streaming apps. “The point is to create
useful
 > utility that does not have the attention economy built in,” Tang
said.
 > Like Dumbwireless, Light Phone has recently been experiencing a
surge in
 > demand. From 2022 to 2023, its revenue doubled, and it is on track
 > double again in 2024, the founders told me. Hollier pointed to
Jonathan
 > Haidt’s new book, “The Anxious Generation,” about the adverse
effects of
 > smartphones on adolescents. Light Phone is receiving increased
inquiries
 > and bulk-order requests from churches, schools, and after-school
programs.
 > In September, 2022, the company began a partnership with a private
school
 > in Williamstown, Massachusetts, to provide Light Phones to the
 > institution’s staff members and students; smartphones are now
prohibited
 > on campus. According to the school, the experiment has had a
salutary
 > effect both on student classroom productivity and on campus social
life.
 > Tang told me, “We’re talking to twenty to twenty-five schools now.”
 >
 > To Tang and Hollier’s surprise, some of the most willing Light
Phone
 > converts are Gen Z-ers. Some of them are younger than the iPhone.
Digital
 > technology has been an inevitable feature of their lives, yet they
are
 > also better equipped, or better motivated, than generations past to

 > confront its negative impacts. Apple recently allowed third-party
 > developers to write software that accesses the iPhone’s Screen Time

 > function, meaning that some new programs can now help users limit
their
 > screen time by blocking apps. T. J. Driver and Zach Nasgowitz, two
 > engineers in their early twenties, took advantage of this change to
create
 > an iPhone accessory called Brick, to fight their own excessive
phone
 > usage. Brick, which launched in September of 2023, is a magnetized
plastic
 > cube with a corresponding app that allows you to select which
features you
 > want to block on your smartphone. Tapping the brick activates or
lifts the
 > blockage. Driver and Nasgowitz started with one 3-D printer to
produce the
 > accessories; now they have fifteen machines running around the
clock and
 > are shipping a few hundred products a day.
 >
 > There is no one dumbphone solution for everyone. Each digital
addict is
 > addicted in her own way. Stults, of Dumbwireless, uses an app
called
 > Unpluq, which works similarly to Brick, blocking specific apps from
his
 > smartphone while allowing him to maintain the store’s
customer-service
 > channels, including e-mail and Shopify. Krigbaum has been a
committed
 > Light Phone user for the past two years. She said that she doesn’t
miss
 > her smartphone, but that her new device can cause some awkwardness
when
 > she meets other young people who ask how to keep in touch. They
mean on
 > social media, of course; for the vast swath of Gen Z-ers who don’t
use
 > dumbphones, exchanging numbers to text message or, God forbid, call
seems
 > archaic. “I’ve been saying, ‘I guess I’ll see you if I see you,’ ”
 > Krigbaum said.
 >
 > When I want to escape from my iPhone, I pop the sim card out
(which,
 > unfortunately, is not possible on some newer iPhones) and install
it in a
 > red Nokia 2780 flip phone—the closing snap of which brings me back
 > instantly to my high-school days, when flip phones were cutting
edge.
 > After the surprisingly easy switching process, I take the simple
device
 > with me on my daily walks with my dog. If I had my smartphone in
hand, I’d
 > be refreshing Instagram or compulsively checking my e-mail while my
hound
 > does her business or sniffs tree trunks. With the Nokia, I’ve cut
myself
 > off from such meaningless digital stimuli but preserved my ability
 > answer texts or phone calls if necessary. (I’m too much of a
millennial to
 > actually leave the house without any phone.) I find myself looking
more at
 > my surroundings, which are particularly enjoyable in springtime,
and I am
 > more relaxed when I return from the excursions. When I switch the
sim card
 > back into my iPhone, the device seems momentarily absurd: an
enormous
 > screen filled with infinite entertainment and information that
follows me
 > wherever I go. Then I open all my usual apps in quick
succession—e-mail,

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/infinite-scroll/the-dumbphone-boom-is-
 > real

Welll not really. It is because why do I need a PC in
my life.

I do not mind using outdated phones because a "Dumb-phone"
could just be a computer as well.

Like you could plug it into a device and access a display and make
changes or use the device as a computing tool.

In terms of parenting. Yes I see tons of girls.... all what look like
donated backpacks with these monochrome phones. All huddled around the
one smart phone watching a video. If more parents did this then things
would be a lot better.

This is a response to the post seen at:
http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=663601905#663601905