Re: Why do so many people confuse Google's Firebase (cloud API) with Google Services Google Firebase App Indexing (search results)?

Sujet : Re: Why do so many people confuse Google's Firebase (cloud API) with Google Services Google Firebase App Indexing (search results)?
De : andrew (at) *nospam* spam.net (Andrew)
Groupes : comp.mobile.android
Date : 24. Jun 2024, 08:04:05
Arno Welzel wrote on Sun, 23 Jun 2024 23:19:20 +0200 :
What do you mean with "hazarding a guess"?

Just *read* the documentation instead of "guessing" things:

<https://firebase.google.com/?hl=en>
<https://firebase.google.com/docs/app-indexing?hl=en>

The fact is you got it wrong. But I don't blame you for guessing.

I said from the start that almost nobody understands that Firebase (cloud)
has absolutely nothing whatsoever in common with Firebase App Indexing.

You included.
They're two completely different things using partially the same name.

Anyone who isn't aware of that, doesn't understand what either of them
does.
Which is the main reason why I authored this thread.

To clarify, once and for all, the difference between them.
To simplify that difference to make the point, this is the main difference
(as far as I'm aware).

1. Firebase (back end cloud APIs)
2. Firebase App Indexing (on-device search results + uploaded statistics)

My point always was that anyone who doesn't know that difference will only
confuse people by conflating them - because they're completely different.

The purpose of this thread is to find someone who knows the differences.

Did anyone forced you to purchase a Samsung Galaxy A32-5G and does not
allow you to get any other device ever?

I would rather simply try to understand the differences between these three
sets of API's from Google that developers can link into their apps.

As I said, I'm very well aware of the Germanic racism rampant in the United
States, having been born of Prussian-born parents in the USA, which tells
anyone trying to understand how Google works to go and find another country
to live in.

I'm not going to fall prey to racist comments so I said before and I will
say now that I will simply say that the answer to trying to understand what
Google Firebase (cloud) vs Google Services Firebase App Indexing (on-device
search & index uploads) are, is not to avoid Google at all costs.

It's just not.

Then learn how to develop apps, really.

Again, the answer to the question of what the difference is between Google
Firebase (cloud) adn Google Services Firebase App Indexing (on-device
search & index uploads) is not to become a developer. It's just not.

The answer is likely far simpler, such as this short summary is:
a. Firebase (back-end APIs to Google's cloud)
b. Firebase App Indexing (on-device search results & uploads to Google)

1. GSF => APIs for apps to link into Google Backup, Play Store Services,
          Contacts Sync, and Account Management (plus location services
          I think, which is why so many apps now require "precise location"
          even though they have no need for it - because Google made the
          option for location services w/o Wi-Fi removed from the API!)

Correct - GSF, "Google Services Framework" gives apps access to Google
Play Services and some services

The good news is that it's well known that any app that links with GSF is a
crappy app in terms of privacy such that the Aurora Store will allow you to
filter those apps out of search results.
 <https://i.postimg.cc/P5YYKT3H/aurora14.jpg> Filter out apps linked to GSF

Note that the people who wrote the Aurora Store know they Google Play Store
repository better than anyone - & they implemented this GSF filter for us.

Simply stated: If you're installing apps with GSF in them, they're crap
               (in terms of privacy).

2. GMS => APIs for Gmail, Chrome, Google+, Google Maps & Youtube.

Correct - GMS, "Google Mobile Services" are mostly all the services
Google provides even without Android.

The main problem I have with GMS is that Google is desperate for us to
think that it's normal to require Wi-Fi precision scanning to do simply
geolocation when it's not. The reason is Google needs Wi-Fi precision
scanning for other reasons - and that's why Google recently made it such
that anyone linking in GMS must also force Wi-Fi precision scanning,
whether or not the app needs Wi-Fi at all, let alone precision scanning.

Given the danger inherent in apps eating the serpent's seductive GMS apple,
the authors of the Aurora Store have told me they're already in progress to
add a filter so that we can filter out any apps that link in GMS code.

Currently I do that with the Muntashirakon App Manager, but that's after
the app is already installed. The Aurora Store will allow us to filter out
any apps that have the privacy-invasive GMS linked in BEFORE we install
them.

Look to this newsgroup for reports once I test out the code they're working
on but I haven't received it yet - but mark my words - it's coming up.

3. Firebase => APIs for Cloud stuff + completely separate search stuff

Correct - but "Firebase" also contains "Firebase App Indexing" and
"Firebase App Indexing" is *not* a separate product besides Firebase.

We're going to have to disagree on that statement, and the fact that not a
single link you've provided backs that up, is what I base that on.

Yes, I know you saw (and misinterpreted) the words "back end" to the Google
Cloud for "Firebase" but what you misunderstood was that Firebase is the
back end to Google Cloud.

Firebase App Indexing is NOT associated in the least with the Google Cloud.
If you insist that it is, simply show me a single cite that says that.

None exists. So I already know you can't.

Bear in mind, this is not your fault. As I said from the beginning, almost
nobody understands this stuff. It's a hard question to answer.

That you guessed wrongly is not a deprecation on you.
It's what most people do.

I'm here only for the correct answer.
And if your answer is correct, then you should be able to produce a cite
that explicitly says that "Google Services Firebase App Indexing" is a
component (deprecated or not) of the Google Firebase Cloud Services.

But it's not.
This is something almost nobody knows.