Re: OT Do high-functioning flip phones need data plan?

Sujet : Re: OT Do high-functioning flip phones need data plan?
De : keith_nuttle (at) *nospam* yahoo.com (knuttle)
Groupes : comp.mobile.android
Date : 03. Jul 2024, 18:19:27
On 07/03/2024 8:33 AM, micky wrote:
In comp.mobile.android, on Wed, 3 Jul 2024 07:39:12 -0000 (UTC), Chris
<ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:

micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
OT  If a flip phone something like the one below can do all these
things, including at the end, internet, do you have to get a data plan
for it, just like the one I have, with what 2gig data, or do they have
plans for flippone with say 100 megs of data?

Multi Functional Flip Phone: The flip phone supports dual SIM support,
dual SIM cards and memory cards with a maximum capacity of 16GB (not
included). Camera, music and video player, picture viewer, Bluetooth,
voice recorder, radio, calendar, alarm clock, games, calculator,
flashlight, Internet and other functions.

https://www.amazon.com/Mobile-Unlocked-Seniors-Senior-Button/dp/B0C9D8JJ2J/ref=asc_df_B0C9D8JJ2J/

Do not buy. It only supports 2G which is more or less phased out everywhere
or at the very least will be very, very patchy. Get a 4G Doro if that's the
type of phone you want.
 Okay, thanks, I won't buy that one, but my question still remains.  Do
flip phones with internet functions require buying a data plan?
 Are there especially cheap data plans for phones like the one above (not
the one above but a modern flip phone without the objection you point
out.)   A lot of flip phones are sold by specific commpanies that market
to old people, iiuc. Consumer Cellular maybe, or maybe Cricket. Do
companies like that include data in their low-cost plans?

How much internet do they do?
 How much internet do they do?

You ask how much internet data is needed for pictures.   I have a Moto Pure G.  It is not a flip phone.  However I have a 1 gigabyte data plan,that is more that adequate for the way I use the phone.  I take pictures, use it for email, etc.   I use the Bluetooth feature to transfer data between my phone and computer and have nothing in the cloud.
I don't send the pictures while using the data plan.  I send them while the phone is connected to the local internet.  I also do any data-intensive-things while connected to the internet. In a normal month I will use about 50 megabytes of data by using the map, checking for locations etc.  In one month where I used the data plan heavily, I used about 600 megabytes of the data plan.
I don't ask the phone every second to do searches. In fact I very rarely do searches on the phone.  I never view video on the data plan.
As for you phone get a one capable of at least 4G.  The reason, is that many carrier are discontinuing supporting the lower xG phones.  I have found that most smartphones are poor phones, but are great replacements for you Palm PDA.
If you are looking at the flip phone because of the price,  there are smart phones available in the same price ranges as the one you refferenced.    Walmart has is a couple smart phone in the $40 to $60 range.