Re: Apple advertised M2 iPad Air core count dropped by one today

Sujet : Re: Apple advertised M2 iPad Air core count dropped by one today
De : jollyroger (at) *nospam* pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Groupes : comp.mobile.ipad
Date : 06. Jun 2024, 00:05:58
On 2024-06-05, Harry S Robins <stanleyrobins@nothere.uk> wrote:
Apple just corrected the M2 iPad Air's core count
https://www.theverge.com/2024/6/4/24171100/apple-m2-ipad-air-gpu-core-count-correction

Apple was informed that their M2 iPad Air doesn't come with the
10-core GPU that Apple has been advertising it has because, in
reality, it only has 9 cores.

It's not clear why the company would change the iPad's listed specs
without telling customers first and Apple refused to explain when
asked by The Verge.

My guess is this is probably just an economical decision based on chip
testing selection (binning) where the best versions go to the Mac
product line and the leftovers go to the iPad line.

JR