I switch servers on the fly, willy nilly.

Sujet : I switch servers on the fly, willy nilly.
De : Usenet (at) *nospam* Jeff-Relf.Me (Relf)
Groupes : comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date : 09. Apr 2024, 05:06:13
DFS asked me:
A while back you said downloading Usenet post info from glorb.com was really fast.
glorb.com doesn't seem to be around any more.

Yes, Glorb threw in the towel many years ago (2018?).

How and where are you downloading Usenet messages?
I use blocknews and python nntplib and SuckMT (Windows), but they're not
quick enough any more.  blocknews has suddenly gone downhill.

I switch servers on the fly, willy nilly.
When BlockNews fails, I use UsenetNews, & vice versa.
Oddly, they don't both fail at the same time.

Instead of switching servers, you could just wait it out.

MessageID (instead of Article Number) "bookmarking" is tricky.
I list MessageIDs (100 at a time), starting from the highest Article Number,
until I find one of the 10 MessageID "bookmarks" I've saved.