Re: Gentoo Takes Good Care Of Its SOPHISTICATED Users

Sujet : Re: Gentoo Takes Good Care Of Its SOPHISTICATED Users
De : bowman (at) *nospam* montana.com (rbowman)
Groupes : comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date : 04. Jun 2024, 04:17:25
On Mon, 3 Jun 2024 23:24:03 -0000 (UTC), RonB wrote:

BTW, I read your article on the Indian motorcycle dealer. I'm guessing
you actually met this guy. Interesting story.

Brownie? You bet. The Harley dealer was almost as boutiquey as they are
now. Brownie operated out of a store front with an oil soaked floor and
packed with Indian parts but he also had some Harley stuff he'd picked up
or could suggest a workaround. The clientele wasn't exactly Ward Cleaver
types. Even better it was a few blocks from my girlfriend's house.

I was looking at modern motorcycles a few months ago out of curiosity.
It looks like some of them are now up about 2000cc's. What in the world
for? They were already huge at 1200 and 1000cc's.

The Triumph Rocket 3 is leading the pack with just under 2500 cc, afaik.
It's svelte compared to the earlier Rocket III that was 2300 cc and
weighted a little over 800 pounds. I've seen a III and it was huge.

My Sportster is an 883. I'd originally planned to take it out to 1200 and
hotrod it but I never got around to it. 'Hot' is relative with Harleys. My
box stock 650 cc V-Strom is good for 120 if you're patient and the wind is
going in the right direction. That's fast enough for me.  0 to 60 is a
bout 4 seconds and the 1/4 mile is in the 12 second range, again fast
enough for an old fart. It would take a few thousand to do that with a
Sporty.