Re: Simple math/programming challenge for the "REAL programmer" Feeb

Sujet : Re: Simple math/programming challenge for the "REAL programmer" Feeb
De : none (at) *nospam* none.none (Tyrone)
Groupes : comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date : 11. Mar 2024, 01:27:11
On Mar 10, 2024 at 4:49:07 PM EDT, "DFS" <nospam@dfs.com> wrote:

On 3/10/2024 4:34 PM, Tyrone wrote:
This is not a "programming challenge".

Of course it is.

Read the first 4 words of the original post.

So? Is that some command that must be obeyed?  I can take any code that I
find, change the functions/variables/modules/whatever names, re-arrange it and
present it as "my code".

If for some bizarre reason I needed to display Kaprekar Numbers at work, I
would certainly look first for "off-the-shelf" code that already works. I
would not waste my time writing my own.

For example. 25 years ago I was a new hire at my current job. Someone else was
working on a project that needed to export data in EBCDIC (IBM mainframe
character set) instead of ASCII (PC character set). She was not excited at the
prospect of writing an EBCDIC/ASCII conversion function. As luck would have
it, I already had written one about 5 years earlier in my previous job. I gave
her the code, she plugged it into her project and it all was working in a
short period of time. I even had utilities to view the EBCDIC data on a PC,
converting it all back into ASCII for viewing.

The point is this. When tested, production-ready code already exists you don't
waste time rolling your own. That code still exists and is still working in
that product today.

It is a simple internet search challenge.

Even though I clearly explained, you still don't get it.

Even though I have clearly explained it, YOU still don't get it. If you really
want to challenge someone, come up with a unique problem that has not been
solved already by millions of people over the last 40 years. REAL problem
solving happens when YOU have to actually code/test/verify that YOU have
solved the problem.

What's next?  "Challenge" people to print out Prime Numbers?