Re: Back From the Dead

Sujet : Re: Back From the Dead
De : OFeem1987 (at) *nospam* teleworm.us (Chris Ahlstrom)
Groupes : comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date : 19. Mar 2024, 00:01:23
rbowman wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

I guess it's a form of spring housecleaning but I've been sorting through
old stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asus_Eee_PC

This was the first project. I have a 4G Surf, aka a 701. It has a massive
4GB SSD and 512 bytes of RAM. The problem I ran into years ago was it only
handled WEP WiFi. Could I do anything with it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q4OS

I installed it with the minimal desktop configuration to stay within the
4GB limit. Unlike the original xandros it can handle WPA2. I'm not saying
it's fantastic but Konqueror comes up and handles web sites as well as it
ever did. I also installed lynx.

After the eeePc experiment ended I moved to a netbook as a very portable
device, specifically a Acer Aspire. It had Windows 7 which sort of ran but
couldn't load VS Code or other modern apps and was slow. It has a .9 GHz
Celery, 4GB of RAM and a 500 GB SSD so it is a little more real than the
eee. It also has a Broadcom WiFi which is problematic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lubuntu

Obviously it's no speed demon but it is quite usable with an up to date
distro. There were no problems with the touch pad, buttons, or screen
resolution.

I used an Aspire (single core) at work with Linux on it and it ran
Solidworks in a Windows virtual machine surprisingly well.

--
Q: How many Martians does it take to screw in a light bulb?
A: One and a half.