Don’t Bother With Proprietary .RAR Compression

Sujet : Don’t Bother With Proprietary .RAR Compression
De : ldo (at) *nospam* nz.invalid (Lawrence D'Oliveiro)
Groupes : comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date : 22. May 2024, 03:22:58
Every now and then, I come across download archives in this .RAR format.
The formats have different versions: v4 and lower can be extracted with
Free Software tools like unar <https://theunarchiver.com/command-line>,
while v5 needs a non-Free tool.

A few times now, when I come across a v5 RAR archive, I try recompressing
it with 7-zip <https://7-zip.org/>, and so far, the .7z version of archive
has always been smaller. And 7-zip is Free Software!

So there is no point to using the proprietary format: avoid it.