Re: Thelio hardware problem with Linux Mint

Sujet : Re: Thelio hardware problem with Linux Mint
De : vallor (at) *nospam* cultnix.org (vallor)
Groupes : comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date : 11. Mar 2024, 15:15:33
On Mon, 11 Mar 2024 07:33:02 -0000 (UTC), Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<ldo@nz.invalid> wrote in <usmc3e$3g6h5$1@dont-email.me>:

On Sun, 10 Mar 2024 19:16:55 -0000 (UTC), vallor wrote:

Thing is, the TOSLink connector is usually on the motherboard, and I
don't have problems with them.  But this time, I think the connector is
on a daughterboard, and I suspect it is connected to the motherboard
via USB.

Is an optical connection really worth using?

I prefer it, if only because the sound takes a pure digital
path to the DAC in the amplifier, and it's opto-isolated.

But USB would offer the same pure digital path, and the
amplifier accepts USB.  Both are plugged into the UPS,
so maybe I should just go for it. (I've just had bad luck with
USB audio before, but perhaps that is a thing of the past.)

My white-box machine has one, but instead of bothering to use it, I got
USB 7.1 adapter box to run my Logitech surround speakers, and that has
been working fine for the better part of a year now.

So no clicking or dropouts?  I'll have to try the USB then and see if
it is any better.

I am still in the process of tracking down some audio trouble with my
Galago Pro laptop; when I installed Debian 12 Stable on it, the sound
worked fine, but when I upgraded to Debian Unstable, it went mute.
Currently I got sound back after a couple of fiddles: one involved
comparing what modules were loaded by default under the two systems and
making adjustments accordingly, and other following the steps described
at
<https://support.system76.com/articles/audio/>.

Another reboot will be coming up when I do my monthly upgrade; then I’ll
try these steps separately (if I need to), and see which one actually
did the trick. ;)

Well, I rebooted yesterday to bring up Linux 6.7.9 -- but
now 6.8 is out, so I'll be rebooting again soon.

--
-v