Re: The Devil His Due

Sujet : Re: The Devil His Due
De : bowman (at) *nospam* montana.com (rbowman)
Groupes : comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date : 12. Mar 2024, 09:03:54
On Tue, 12 Mar 2024 00:27:39 -0500, Physfitfreak wrote:

Is this something that by any chance could be used to get same
information that sophisticated OBD-II (On-Board Diagnostics) scanners or
readers get for status of various functions in automobiles? The latter
are $1000 or $2000 in price (if not more), and this one is only $12.69.

https://www.csselectronics.com/pages/obd2-explained-simple-intro

No, but you probably can cook something ip with an arduino to handle the
CAD bus protocol. You might be able to isolate some of the signal lines
and watch the bits go by like if you were looking at I2C or SPI.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II_PIDs

"There is very limited information available in the public domain for non-
standard PIDs. The primary source of information on non-standard PIDs
across different manufacturers is maintained by the US-based Equipment and
Tool Institute and only available to members. The price of ETI membership
for access to scan codes varies based on company size defined by annual
sales of automotive tools and equipment in North America:"

That's going to be the real problem.

https://www.scangauge.com/products/scangauge-ii/

I've got one of those around here someplace. I used to use it for fuel
economy metrics and other information but the 2018 Toyota has a lot of
that available either on the console or cycling through the odometer
displays. The 2007 and 2011 Toyotas didn't show the info. I never used it
for troubleshooting since they didn't have any problems.