Oops (was: Re: Running fresh Linux kernel)

Sujet : Oops (was: Re: Running fresh Linux kernel)
De : vallor (at) *nospam* cultnix.org (vallor)
Groupes : comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date : 15. Mar 2024, 05:23:24
On Thu, 14 Mar 2024 23:38:01 -0000 (UTC), vallor <vallor@cultnix.org>
wrote in <ut01op$1qbd1$2@dont-email.me>:

On Thu, 14 Mar 2024 06:32:55 -0000 (UTC), RonB <ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com>
wrote in <usu5mn$1f5es$1@dont-email.me>:

On 2024-03-14, RonB <ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com> wrote:
On 2024-03-12, rbowman <bowman@montana.com> wrote:
On Tue, 12 Mar 2024 09:12:12 -0000 (UTC), RonB wrote:

The Fedora laptop is currently running on 6.7.7-200 kernel. (I'm
typing this on the laptop, but currently I'm logged into my main
desktop upstairs using No Machine.) When I login into Fedora it says
when I have updates (notice appears on the top-right corner) so I
just run 'sudo dnf update' — it works fine.

There is also 'sudo flatpak update'.  'sudo dnf upgrade' doesn't
catch those.  I may have a newer kernel ready to go but I haven't
rebooted for a month. I'm running the KDE spin so the notice is on
the toolbar.

I had the notice on the panel also, but I didn't like it there, so I
got rid of it. I didn't know about the flatpak update command, so I
guess I need to run that as well tonight.

Now up to 6.7.9-200. No flatpak apps installed on this computer, though
flatpak, itself, is installed.

It's only one version behind stable now:

$ uname -a Linux lm 6.8.0 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Mon Mar 11 11:08:43 PDT
2024 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

(I built it Monday morning, but only booted it this morning.  Had other
changes to the system that I wanted to make sure weren't affected by
changing kernels.)

So for Linux, you can run "make help" to see different targets.

I tried:

localmodconfig  - Update current config disabling modules not loaded

This is handy for avoiding compilation of a lot of the source tree.  (For
example, I don't need Infiniband drivers...or indeed, most of the
drivers.)

I'd been using that make target for a few versions of my Linux
builds.  Just tried to NAT my diskstation so I could update the time on
it, and got an error that there was no such module for ip NAT...woops.

Why the NAT? Linux sources are on the Synology diskstation.  Thing
is, the time on the diskstation was so far out of sync that make(1) was
giving diagnostics about "clock skew" and similar.  The Synology lives
on my 10G SAN, and isn't ordinarily connected to the net -- when I need
that, I use NAT on my workstation for the SAN. I'm going to have to leave
that on now so the clock stays synced.

Anyway, had to go back a few versions of Linux just to get NAT to work,
sync the clock, and now I'm building 6.8.0 with my original config, which
enables most modules.

Lesson learned:  The shortcut worked for a while, but eventually
bit me.

ObCharter:  try that on Windows!

--
-v