Re: Meson build system

Sujet : Re: Meson build system
De : OFeem1987 (at) *nospam* teleworm.us (Chris Ahlstrom)
Groupes : comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date : 19. Mar 2024, 18:41:17
candycanearter07 wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

Chris Ahlstrom <OFeem1987@teleworm.us> wrote at 12:38 this Tuesday (GMT):
Not strictly a Linux topic, but....

So I've used GNU Autotools for many many years (like since 2006 maybe?). But
for new project I decided to go with Meson. I had another look at CMake, but
it's still a little too grotesque for me, although the Qt project has switched
from qmake to cmake. (Meson also supports cmake to some extent, as I understand
it.)

Meson is not quite as complex as autotools, though it has its own learning
curve. It is fairly well documented and the project seems responsive to user
requests. For example, I put in a request to provide an alternative to
meson_options.txt so that one could use /etc/DIRCOLOR to highlight this
configuration file, and it was implemented as meson.options in version 1.1.

So I've currently got two git projects on my in-house "server" (this ASUS
laptop), and I have figured out how to use one project as a Meson subproject
for the other project, referring to the git repository of the other:

   [wrap-git]
   url = ssh://usr@server/srv/git/other_project.git
   revision = head
   depth = 1

Anyway, builds are *fast*, and switching between GNU C++ and Clang++ is easy.

As for converting my big app project from autotools to meson... too daunting
for now.

Neat, I haven't heard about meson before! I tried CMake, but it is
horrible to use. I'm currently trying to learn the zig build system, but
meson looks pretty cool!

It has its own complexities, and it took me awhile to halfway understand it.
I think GNOME uses it, and GIMP is converting to it.

   https://mesonbuild.com/Users.html

--
You look tired.