Re: This FOSS Thang :-)

Sujet : Re: This FOSS Thang :-)
De : recscuba_google (at) *nospam* huntzinger.com (-hh)
Groupes : comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date : 19. Mar 2024, 21:10:47
On 3/16/24 5:32 PM, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
-hh wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

On 3/12/24 11:55 PM, Physfitfreak wrote:
On 3/12/2024 3:20 PM, Farley Flud wrote:
Apphole is strongly preferred by most brain-dead females
and sodomites (a.k.a. homosexuals).

Hahhahahh :-))

I kind of think so too. For 45 fucking years I haven't understood what
it is about it that attracts some people. The higher price of it? Then
you ought to add masochists to your list as well.

I think it works a bit like lipstick for its fans too :)

Choosing Apple was a deliberate informed decision, illustrated by the
old saying "Life is like a bullshit sandwich:  the more bread you have,
the less bullshit you have to eat."

In the big scheme of things, I've found that the price premium is
actually favorable as its lifecycle costs are more favorable and thus,
it ends up being actually cheaper in the long run.  Of course, unlike
many Linux fanboys (and Feeb in particular), this is because I actually
place a non-zero value on my time spent in upkeep of my IT systems.

And for those who want to defend their hours & hours spent twaddling
around with their gear to finally get something to work, if you consider
your time to do such things to not count as anything other than "free",
well I've got a lawn for you to mow...
 Linux distros cover the full spectrum of maintenance time. Choose
your sweet spot.
Which ones are as low for setup & maintenance as Apple?  Name names.
 From what I've seen, that's going to be a damn short list, because there's few turnkey providers of hardware with Linux OS & software preinstalled out of the box.

You like Apple? And its hardware silo? Kool.
The logical fallacy here is that every hardware supplier will have a "silo" of finite products, because no one supplier can offer more diversity than the entire market because logically they must always be a subset of the total market.  The more important and relevant question is if they offer _adequate_ product variation to be viable in the market.
-hh