Re: Why Python When There Is Perl?

Sujet : Re: Why Python When There Is Perl?
De : ldo (at) *nospam* nz.invalid (Lawrence D'Oliveiro)
Groupes : comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date : 23. Mar 2024, 01:27:59
On 22 Mar 2024 17:23:39 GMT, rbowman wrote:

On Fri, 22 Mar 2024 02:06:08 -0000 (UTC), Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

On 22 Mar 2024 01:43:02 GMT, rbowman wrote:

As I worked through the exercises I was mentally calculating how I
would do it in C.

C doesn’t put call frames on the heap, or even allow nested functions
(as standard), so I don’t know how you would handle closures.

You don't. You look at the task at hand and figure out how you would get
the same result in C, not try to follow Lisp's technique.

The technique isn’t specific to Lisp. It’s handy in a lot of other
languages, for code reuse.

It’s not that it’s impossible to do certain things without it, it’s just a
lot easier.

I have some quite complex examples I could show you, but they’re in
Python. I’m not sure if you can handle them.

A vast amount of software has been written with imperative programming.

Languages with closures can be imperative, too.

I'm not saying the task can't be accomplished with functional
programming,
only that it does not have to be done with a functional language.

And I wasn’t even talking about functional languages.