Re: Attention All Sane Gentoo Users!

Sujet : Re: Attention All Sane Gentoo Users!
De : vallor (at) *nospam* cultnix.org (vallor)
Groupes : comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date : 23. Mar 2024, 17:04:38
On Sat, 23 Mar 2024 14:35:25 +0000, Lester Thorpe <lt@gnu.rocks> wrote in
<17bf6b7333fab780$3$2218499$802601b3@news.usenetexpress.com>:

Attention All Sane Gentoo Users!

It's profile change time (it happens about once ever 5 years).
The default will soon be profile 23.0.

No big deal, eh?  Well, no, unless you are a sane and rational human
being.

The security paranoiacs are at it again.  Profile 23.0 will force the
use of "default-stack-clash-protection" and "default-znow" options for
the gcc compiler, which will then cause all packages to be built with
those fucking insane hardening features.

This stuff use to be limited specifically to the "hardened"
profiles, but not any more.  The crazy mutherfucking Gentoo devs have
made it the default for ALL profiles.

But there is a way to avoid this psycho-security shit.

The files in /etc/portage/profile allow the user to override that
whacked nonsense.

Just add the following line to your "package.use.force"
file:

sys-devel/gcc -cet -default-stack-clash-protection -default-znow -libssp
nopie nossp -pie -sanitize -ssp vanilla -vtv

Make sure the "vanilla" is there.  That will prevent any Gentoo-custom
security patches from being applied.

That'll keep their fucking psycho fingers off your gcc.

Gentoo is still the ONE and ONLY GNU/Linux distro.

So you admit you use a "distro" -- doesn't that make
you a "distro-lackey", hmmmm?

ALL others are just TOYS for FUCKING TOTS.

When I think of the gyrations I used to go through to
use Fedora Core, then Fedora...

I don't know what that's like today, but that was some real
he-man Linux.

You kids don't know how easy you have it now.

I switched to Mint because I got tired of fighting
Red Hat's control of a (supposedly) "community" distribution.
Got too old for the "add repo X to be able to play an mp3", or
"sorry, we won't include ECC in our openssl SRPMS because
we don't understand the legal ramifications".  Had enough of
that.

And also:  who here, besides you, is using Gentoo?

--
-v