Re: 7 years ago on cola...

Sujet : Re: 7 years ago on cola...
De : nospam (at) *nospam* dfs.com (DFS)
Groupes : comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date : 25. Mar 2024, 00:59:13
On 3/24/2024 3:09 PM, Joel wrote:
DFS <nospam@dfs.com> wrote:

...I was running Manjaro/xfce, and did a little 'experiment': installed
mucho desktops.

$ sudo pacman -S <DE name>

LXDE (installed in 20 seconds)
fluxbox  (installed in 5 seconds)
gnustep (target not found)
cinnamon (installed in 20 seconds)
deepin (bunch of errors)
budgie (target not found)
enlightenment (installed in 20 seconds)
gnome and gnome-extra (huge - but installed in about 2 minutes)
kde,kde4,kde5,plasma5  (all failed, target not found)
lxqt (installed in 5 seconds)
mate (installed in 20 seconds)
awesome (tiling window mgr - installed in 3 seconds)
cde (target not found)
razor-qt (errors)
icewm (installed in 3 seconds)

At the end, this is what the login mgr (SLIM) looked like:

http://imgur.com/a/aO1Ib
  That's an amazing thing that Linux can do, if one is scatterbrained.
It's cool that your experiment showed that it will work with whatever
we throw at the system.
It is very cool.  But 'scatterbrained' - what are you babbling about?
I was curious about how Linux would handle all those desktops.  When you add a DE, entries are added to /usr/share/xsessions and the login manager SLIM picks them up from there and presents them.
Ideally each desktop environment would load and run flawlessly, and uninstall without interfering with the others (ie would it remove shared icon sets)
I talked more about it back then:
The problem with installing all those is it downloads a boatload of
packages and you get some duplicates listed in various places.  And if
you try to uninstall everything but one, the system might break.  Later
I'll uninstall all but xfce and see what happens.
I don't think I followed up and removed all but the original (xfce). But I am curious what would happen if I did.  So it's an experiment I should try again.  Failure will result in hard cola trolling.