Re: GuhNoo: World's Biggest Technical Leecher

Sujet : Re: GuhNoo: World's Biggest Technical Leecher
De : sc (at) *nospam* fiat-linux.fr (Stéphane CARPENTIER)
Groupes : comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date : 13. Apr 2024, 10:59:49
Le 10-04-2024, DFS <nospam@dfs.com> a écrit :
On 4/10/2024 10:29 AM, Lying Larry Pietraskiewicz wrote:

Microslop, the world's richest company, is also the world's biggest
leecher:

The biggest technical mooch in history is GuhNoo freeloading off the
design, names and functionality of Unix.

As I don't really know if you are seriously mistaken or trolling, I'll
answer seriously.

They were mostly following a norm, the POSIX norm. There is nothing
wrong in following a norm. That's what you do when you program in C. You
follow the norm. Like that, you can use any C compiler for your code.
And when you share your code, you don't have to tell which compiler they
need to use.

As the POSIX norm is a little bit outdated, Linux don't always follow it
(and it pisses off some BSD users who can be stuck in the past). When
one says Linux is an UNIX, it's in the broad sense, not in the exact
sense because it's not certified (it has been once years ago but it's
expensive and useless now).

"Starting this Thanksgiving I am going to write a complete
Unix-compatible software system called GNU (for Gnu's Not Unix), and
give it away free to everyone who can use it." - Wretched Richard
Stallman Sep 27 1983

Yes, exactly. He chose to follow the norm, not to steal the code.

He failed in his mission, of course, but thanks to Torvalds his dream of
being an OS parasite and "commercial software killer" was realized.

The OS parasite is the future of your lovely Microsoft foundation. I said
it before, you believe I'm dreaming, but I'll explain it again because all
of the evidences point to it.

The big money for Microsoft is in the cloud, not in the Windows OS
installed on personal computers. It means: Azure for the companies and
Microsoft 365 for everyone. For that, you need only a browser, not a
full OS. And the browser is Edge. Which is not a real Microsoft browser.
It's a Microsoft GUI running Chromium.

And they'll do the same with Windows. It's obvious. It will be far less
expensive for them to run only their GUI on a Linux kernel than to
support a full OF. Linux gives already the possibility to choose your
own Window Manager, there is nothing to adapt for it. Twenty years ago,
it was really difficult to find Linux drivers when you bought some
hardware. It's not the case anymore. I know, for printers it's not that
true, but printers are difficult to use with Windows, too (not when you
buy them, on the long run).

So everything is ready for Microsoft. And the first step for this has
already been taken. It's named WSL.

Really, I'm not saying what I'm hopping because I'm not that sure it's
really a good thing for me. I'm saying what everything show.

--
Si vous avez du temps à perdre :
https://scarpet42.gitlab.io