Re: "Much higher CPU Usage on Linux than on Windows"

Sujet : Re: "Much higher CPU Usage on Linux than on Windows"
De : vallor (at) *nospam* cultnix.org (vallor)
Groupes : comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date : 14. Apr 2024, 06:39:05
On Sun, 14 Apr 2024 03:49:33 +0000, Tyrone <none@none.none> wrote in
<HNWcnQdK95LQz4b7nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@supernews.com>:

Not to mention all the games that run only on Windows, which demand
great video performance. If/when Linux ever becomes a serious gaming
platform (which, let's face it, has about the same probability as
Windows becoming a great 24/7/365 backend server), high end video card
makers will start caring about video performance on Linux.

I game exclusively on Linux using proton, through SteamPlay, on Steam.
My games are _Elite Dangerous Odyssey_ and _Starfield_.

Instead of using Windows' DirectX, proton uses the Vulkan-backed DXVK,
which can be faster than Windows.

Haven't played Starfield in a while, but EDO is capped at 90fps, which
is fine for my 60fps 4K monitor.  I don't think the NVidia proprietary
drivers are a bottleneck.

--
-v