Re: Think You're A Programmer? Think Again.

Sujet : Re: Think You're A Programmer? Think Again.
De : candycanearter07 (at) *nospam* candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Groupes : comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date : 15. Apr 2024, 17:10:11
Farley Flud <ff@linux.rocks> wrote at 15:21 this Saturday (GMT):
Any TRUE programmer can also program in reverse, i.e. de-program.

Let's see if you can assist the global effort in documenting the
xz-backdoor.

GNU/Linux has the absolute best tool for the job: Ghidra.

https://ghidra-sre.org/

I have posted an image of the xv-backdoor loaded into ghidra
and analyzed:

https://i.postimg.cc/NsrmMvDv/xz-backdoor.png

The left panel shows the dissassembled code and the right shows
the corresponding de-compile.

Notice the match:

xor edi, edi
mov esi, 0x12
mov edx, 0x46
mov ecx, 0x02
CALL .Llzma_decoder_end.1  <==> iVar4 = .Llzma_decoder_end.1(0, 0x12, 0x46, 2);

TEST EAX, EAX
JZ LAB_00100606  <==> if (iVar4 == 0) {

Ghidra is fucking fantastic!

Unfortunately, I will not be attempting to document the backdoor.
To do so would entail first learning thoroughly the functions of
sshd and I am not at all interested in network programming.

Yes, sshd.  Did you think that the xz-backoor was about compression/
decompression?  Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!

Think again.

I'm not a security expert, nor do I claim to be. The only time I've
touched ghidra was to mod a GBA game, but I never deleted it from my
desktop.