Re: "Much higher CPU Usage on Linux than on Windows"

Sujet : Re: "Much higher CPU Usage on Linux than on Windows"
De : ronb02NOSPAM (at) *nospam* gmail.com (RonB)
Groupes : comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date : 17. Apr 2024, 08:33:03
On 2024-04-14, Tyrone <none@none.none> wrote:
On Apr 13, 2024 at 7:32:39 PM EDT, "DFS" <nospam@dfs.com> wrote:

I got similar results when Linux consumed 21% of the CPU just moving a
Thunderbird window around, but Windows used no more than 6% doing the
same thing.

Linux:   https://ibb.co/CJzXdBb
Windows: https://ibb.co/JBBkqWs

Which is almost certainly due to better video card drivers on Windows. No one
cares about video performance on Linux, since 99% of Linux usage is as
DB/App/Web servers. Most of those are headless. No video card needed.

Windows has better video performance because Windows is the front end. Linux
is the backend. Both for obvious reasons.

All I know is that my fans run a lot louder and my computer is hotter when I
try Windows than when I'm running Linux.

Not to mention all the games that run only on Windows, which demand great
video performance. If/when Linux ever becomes a serious gaming platform
(which, let's face it, has about the same probability as Windows becoming a
great 24/7/365 backend server), high end video card makers will start caring
about video performance on Linux.

Linux has to work a lot harder to run Windows games. They're native to
Windows. So they should run better on Windows.

--
[Self-centered, Woke] "pride is a life of self-destructive fakery, an
entrapment to a false and self-created matrix of twisted unreality."