Re: BunsenLabs Linux

Sujet : Re: BunsenLabs Linux
De : joelcrump (at) *nospam* gmail.com (Joel)
Groupes : comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date : 17. Apr 2024, 22:48:16
DFS <nospam@dfs.com> wrote:
On 4/17/2024 10:58 AM, Joel wrote:
DFS <nospam@dfs.com> wrote:
RonB wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

I guess it is a common issue in OpenBox,
but there was a fix — I ran its compositor (Picom) with the option
"--experimental backend" and that fixed it.

JHC.  Only in GuhNoo bizarro world.

LibreOffice also puts half-baked "experimental" and "limited" code in
their production releases, labeled as such to excuse their lackadaisacal
efforts.

No doubt "Picom" is still at version 0.13 after 10 years of "development".

It's even better: it's 31 releases in 5.5 years.

Fix a bug or 3 in your part time, and make a new release.  It's the
GuhNoo way.

This!  Is!  Linux!

The fix sounds exactly like something M$ did.

Very substantive retort, with multiple examples... lamer.

It was an extreme case, but regarding a common feature.

Here's the chaotic FOSS hobbyist history:

1 "picom is a compositor for X, and a fork of Compton."

  "Picom was forked in 2016 from the original Compton because it seemed
   to have become unmaintained."

2 "Compton is a compositor for X, and a fork of xcompmgr-dana."

  "I was frustrated by the low amount of standalone lightweight
   compositors."

3  xcompmgr-dana (dcompmgr) is a fork of Xcompmgr
   "Dana's composite manager (not for production use)"

4 "Xcompmgr is a simple compositor capable of rendering drop shadows
   and, with the use of the transset utility, primitive window
   transparency.  Designed solely as a proof-of-concept, Xcompmgr is a
   lightweight alternative to Compiz and similar composite managers."

1 https://github.com/yshui/picom
2 https://github.com/chjj/compton
3 http://git.openbox.org/?p=dana/dcompmgr.git;a=summary
4 https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/xcompmgr

Got all that?

From 'proof of concept' to 'experimental' in only 12 years.

MS is doomed.

The core of GNU/Linux will always be rock solid.  Just as Winblows is,
which is why they could get away with their Win10 public beta test
that led me to use Linux for a real length of time in 2019, that later
influenced my decision to start using it on this machine.  M$ is far
from "doomed" but Linux is very strong.

--
Joel W. Crump

Amendment XIV
Section 1.

[...] No state shall make or enforce any law which shall
abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the
United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of
life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;
nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal
protection of the laws.

Dobbs rewrites this, it is invalid precedent.  States are
liable for denying needed abortions, e.g. TX.