Re: Windows tried to save the world from me

Sujet : Re: Windows tried to save the world from me
De : vallor (at) *nospam* cultnix.org (vallor)
Groupes : comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date : 22. Apr 2024, 03:57:22
On Wed, 17 Apr 2024 19:53:36 -0400, DFS <nospam@dfs.com> wrote in
<uvpne0$1s9lr$1@dont-email.me>:

Tried to download the source code for the recent xz backdoor

https://github.com/tukaani-project/xz/releases/tag/v5.6.1

Windows Defender already includes a (or the) xz backdoor signature:
right after the file was downloaded and saved to my desktop, Defender
sprang into action to keep me from infecting the Windows world [1].

The "severe" threat was identified as "Backdoor:Linux/XZBackdoorBuild.B"

(Defender identified a single archive file inside the .gzip:
xz-5.6.1/tests/files/good-large_compressed.lzma)

With no interference or permission by me, Defender deleted the tar.gz.

I marked this threat as "allowed", but when I tried to download it
again, Defender deleted it again.

I really, really wanted to initiate a global malware meltdown, so I
turned off some portions of Win11 Defender security:

Start
  Settings
   Privacy & Security
    Windows Security
     Open Windows Security
      Virus & Threat Protection
       Virus & Threat Protection Settings - Manage Settings
        Real-time Protection turned off (it comes back on automatically
        after a while)

Went back to the web page and hurriedly downloaded the source.  This
time I was successful.

A little later I turned 'Real-time Protection' back on and did a Quick
Scan and it detected the scary file and let me decide to keep it or not.

You Windows-using cola advocates are doomed...

1. Microsoft MVP Greg Carmack says:

Windows will not let you turn off basic built-in protection from
Defender and Firewall, unless another is installed in it's place which
should switch it off.

This is because being able to go unprotected would place the entire
WIndows eco-system at risk of easy infection by serious global malware
infection which can spread like wildfire.

The threat is so great that Microsoft operates 24/7 global security
command centers on all continents which are constantly engaged in battle
with malware spread. Even one device without protection can give these
infections a toehold.

The Windows ecosystem must be very, very vulnerable if this is a concern.

Wonder how much of that is due to how Windows Update uses p2p file
sharing?

--
-v