Re: "Much higher CPU Usage on Linux than on Windows"

Sujet : Re: "Much higher CPU Usage on Linux than on Windows"
De : andrzej (at) *nospam* matu.ch (Andrzej Matuch)
Groupes : comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date : 22. Apr 2024, 16:46:34
On 2024-04-17 2:33 a.m., RonB wrote:
On 2024-04-14, Tyrone <none@none.none> wrote:
On Apr 13, 2024 at 7:32:39 PM EDT, "DFS" <nospam@dfs.com> wrote:

I got similar results when Linux consumed 21% of the CPU just moving a
Thunderbird window around, but Windows used no more than 6% doing the
same thing.

Linux:   https://ibb.co/CJzXdBb
Windows: https://ibb.co/JBBkqWs

Which is almost certainly due to better video card drivers on Windows. No one
cares about video performance on Linux, since 99% of Linux usage is as
DB/App/Web servers. Most of those are headless. No video card needed.

Windows has better video performance because Windows is the front end. Linux
is the backend. Both for obvious reasons.
 All I know is that my fans run a lot louder and my computer is hotter when I
try Windows than when I'm running Linux.

Not to mention all the games that run only on Windows, which demand great
video performance. If/when Linux ever becomes a serious gaming platform
(which, let's face it, has about the same probability as Windows becoming a
great 24/7/365 backend server), high end video card makers will start caring
about video performance on Linux.
 Linux has to work a lot harder to run Windows games. They're native to
Windows. So they should run better on Windows.
Apparently, they perform better in Linux if the GPU is made by AMD, simply because of how optimized the open-source driver is. YouTube has a number of tests showing this. For NVIDIA though, the performance is a little worse.
--
Andrzej Matuch
TG: @AndrzejMatuch