Re: Running open nvidia driver on Linux 6.9

Sujet : Re: Running open nvidia driver on Linux 6.9
De : joelcrump (at) *nospam* gmail.com (Joel)
Groupes : comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date : 17. May 2024, 00:59:43
vallor <vallor@cultnix.org> wrote:

So NVidia has an open driver now that does most everything the
proprietary driver does -- I think it only leaves out CUDA.

It certainly has Vulkan.  I'm running the stuff now, because at one point,
the proprietary binary blob had an issue with the 6.9 kernel.  Used it for
a long gaming session last night, and knock-on-wood, it was flawless.

The game -- Elite Dangerous Odyssey -- uses DX, which proton translates
using DXVK into Vulkan calls.

https://github.com/NVIDIA/open-gpu-kernel-modules

NVidia says they are transitioning to the open driver.  Good for them!

Interesting!  I had not heard about this at all, until your post.  I
look forward to Mint incorporating it, as a distro lackey. ;)

--
Joel W. Crump

Amendment XIV
Section 1.

[...] No state shall make or enforce any law which shall
abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the
United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of
life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;
nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal
protection of the laws.

Dobbs rewrites this, it is invalid precedent.  States are
liable for denying needed abortions, e.g. TX.