Re: Running open nvidia driver on Linux 6.9

Sujet : Re: Running open nvidia driver on Linux 6.9
De : OFeem1987 (at) *nospam* teleworm.us (Chris Ahlstrom)
Groupes : comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date : 17. May 2024, 14:17:44
vallor wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

So NVidia has an open driver now that does most everything the
proprietary driver does -- I think it only leaves out CUDA.

It certainly has Vulkan.  I'm running the stuff now, because at one point,
the proprietary binary blob had an issue with the 6.9 kernel.  Used it for
a long gaming session last night, and knock-on-wood, it was flawless.

The game -- Elite Dangerous Odyssey -- uses DX, which proton translates
using DXVK into Vulkan calls.

https://github.com/NVIDIA/open-gpu-kernel-modules

NVidia says they are transitioning to the open driver.  Good for them!

Do not use that word around here!!!   :-D

--
Just because the message may never be received does not mean it is
not worth sending.