Re: The Only DE For REAL MEN

Sujet : Re: The Only DE For REAL MEN
De : sc (at) *nospam* fiat-linux.fr (Stéphane CARPENTIER)
Groupes : comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date : 25. May 2024, 13:12:48
Le 25-05-2024, Farley Flud <ff@linux.rocks> a écrit :
On 24 May 2024 21:59:05 GMT, Stéphane CARPENTIER wrote:

So, thanks for proving my point, with Kitty or Alacritty, it's twice
faster than with xterm and I'm right to tell it's obsolete thanks for
your confirmation.

It's not faster than this:

ls -l | xclip

It is, because you put the full output of your clipboard when you need
only a part of it. So, now, you need open a text editor, to put the
content of your clipboard in a text editor, to copy only the part you
need and to close your text editor. Once again, you are at the bottom
bug you still manage to dive. And if you don't know you will need the
output, you have to launch your command again, with the piped command.

For example, I have a lot of CD ripped on my computer. Some of them with
characters unavailable on my keyboard. So, when I want to go in their
directory, I do a ls and then, I can use its output to write it on
the command line. Simply and directly with my way, with a lot of extra
steps with your way.

The possibilities are endless.

The examples you provide are mostly useless and become clumsy in a real
world usage.

As I said,

You can say it at length, it won't be enough for it to become truth.

you cannot use basic Unix tools and you need that "modern" junk.

I am using the basic tools in my terminal, you are the one using
midnight commander. My terminal has more features than xterm, it's still
a terminal. You are using a TUI to imagine you are using the basic
tools, but midnight commander is not a basic tool: it's as close as a
GUI as possible. You can't use basic tools, you rely too heavily on your
mouse.

The modern tools provide easier ways to use basic tools. For example,
I'm using heavily the history with [CTRL]+[R] to find out the commands I
already wrote more easily. That's old good stuff. Combined with fzf,
which is modern stuff, it's a killing feature to use efficiently the
shell history. It's the full Unix way to use good applications
combined together.

As I said again,

You can keep repeating your stupidities, they wont become true anytime.

I am more productive with basic tools than you could ever be with your
"modern" junk.

Nope. Your videos show you are unable to use basic stuff. What you
provided were examples you found on Internet without being able to
use them. You don't understand them and you can't understand why they
are so useless in the way you tell to use them.

The only way the commands you provided can be useful is on a script,
which is not the same thing as using the terminal.

--
Si vous avez du temps à perdre :
https://scarpet42.gitlab.io