Re: The urxvt experiment

Sujet : Re: The urxvt experiment
De : OFeem1987 (at) *nospam* teleworm.us (Chris Ahlstrom)
Groupes : comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date : 31. May 2024, 14:55:55
vallor wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

On Thu, 30 May 2024 16:57:24 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom <OFeem1987@teleworm.us>
wrote in <v3ap7m$1rlo4$1@dont-email.me>:

I decided to replace xfce4-terminal with urxvt (rxvt-unicode). No real
issues,
just some usage differences like no right-click to copy URLs, and using
Ctrl-Alt-C to copy text to paste into a browser, and Ctrl-Alt-V to paste
it into urxvt. That was on the out-of-date Ubuntu laptop.

Note: I use the Super-T to spawn a terminal with tmux running in it.

On Arch Linux, running urxvt with tmux yields an output of

    "10;rgb:2000/ff00/2000]11;rgb:0000/0000/0000"

which is presented as a command. Have to hit Enter to continue normally.

Looking into it, it is not a tmux problem, but a urxvt problem.

I found a series of Arch-related commands to patch urxvt and reinstall
it. Not important here to show them. But patching and building an Arch
package worked fine. The only real issue is why the uxrvt patch is not
yet a part of the Arch package.

I'm happy with xfce4-terminal, but I have it set up to give me tabs, and
gave it the extra config to have tabs at the bottom.

Fun project (on Fluxbox):

    -   Run xfce4-terminal and make a few tabs.
    -   Run another xfce4-terminal and middle-click drag it onto the first one;
        in Fluxbox, this creates a tab in the destination window and hovering
        over the window titles will change which one is active.
    -   Run tmux in one of the tabs.
    -   In one of the tmux panes, run vim and open files in multiple
        tabs in the vim instance.

    The result:

        https://imgur.com/a/FPVCLIl

I also use unicode glyphs at the beginning of my window title strings in
my bash prompt, and they propagate to the window title.  Makes it easier
to identify which terminal window is on which host.

--
Next Friday will not be your lucky day.  As a matter of fact, you don't
have a lucky day this year.