Re: Gentoo Takes Good Care Of Its SOPHISTICATED Users

Sujet : Re: Gentoo Takes Good Care Of Its SOPHISTICATED Users
De : ronb02NOSPAM (at) *nospam* gmail.com (RonB)
Groupes : comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date : 03. Jun 2024, 00:20:16
On 2024-06-02, Andrzej Matuch <andrzej@matu.ch> wrote:
On 2024-06-02 9:41 a.m., RonB wrote:
On 2024-06-02, Andrzej Matuch <andrzej@matu.ch> wrote:
On 2024-06-02 3:31 a.m., RonB wrote:
On 2024-06-01, rbowman <bowman@montana.com> wrote:
On Sat, 01 Jun 2024 17:29:53 +0000, Diego Garcia wrote:

I gots to build the latest LibreOffice-24.2.3.2 and I needs this info.
Thanks Gentoo.

Distro lackeys can only ride along with whatever their cheap, crippled
distros shove up their asses.

Big fucking deal. My Fedora 40 KDE spin has 24.2.3.2. All I had to do was
run 'sudo dnf upgrade' and go do something useful while all the apps,
including the kernel, are updated.

First question, how in the world did LibreOffice get to release 24 from
release 7? Second question, who really cares if you have the latest version
of LibreOffice?

They started using a version system similar to that of Ubuntu. To be
honest, I rather like it. Much like Windows *95*, it's comprehensible.

What's incomprehensible about a release number that follows the last release
number, like 8 after 7? But, oddly enough, until I read your post I didn't
see any point jumping 17 versions. It was not comprehensible to me. So what
happens in 2524?

People don't follow a program's history, so they won't know that version
8 is current unless they look it up. However, 24.06 means that it came
out in 2024 in June, and anyone can understand that.

I understand what you're saying, but I'm smart enough to know that version 7
follows version 6 and version 8 would have followed version 7. But it's
their choice. I'm just saying it made no sense to me until you mentioned
Ubuntu, I didn't even connect "24" with 2024.

And, should I need LibreOffice 24.2.3.2 on my Linux Mint 21.2 machine, it's
a one-click, Flathub install away. So much for the "LibreOffice advantage"
when using Gentoo. But I guess compiling applications gives Diego Garcia
something to do with his life. And, if he enjoys it and "fulfills" him in
some way, more power to him.

Larry Pietraskiewicz has the Polish mentality wherein we are not happy
unless we are fixing something. By constantly being in a state where
anything can break at any moment, Larry must be in heaven with Gentoo.

If that's the case, I would suggest you buy British cars and motorcycles (if
there are still any made in England). I liked my Sunbeam Alpine and my
Triumph Bonneville, but they definitely required constant tinkering. Fun to
drive/ride though.<

I like my Japanese cars. German cars are more fun to drive, but I don't
want to be in the shop at all times. The Japanese culture and work ethic
is something I admire and I trust the fruit of their labour.

We've got a Dodge Caravan now. It's a good solid vehicle that "feels" bigger
than it is. Before that we had Hyundai which, in my opinion, was a piece of
crap. I haven't owned or driven a Japanese car in a long time. The last one
we owned was a Honda Accord, which was well built. (That's about my only
experience with a Japanese car.)

--
[Self-centered, Woke] "pride is a life of self-destructive fakery, an
entrapment to a false and self-created matrix of twisted unreality."