Re: Gentoo Takes Good Care Of Its SOPHISTICATED Users

Sujet : Re: Gentoo Takes Good Care Of Its SOPHISTICATED Users
De : ronb02NOSPAM (at) *nospam* gmail.com (RonB)
Groupes : comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date : 03. Jun 2024, 17:35:33
On 2024-06-03, rbowman <bowman@montana.com> wrote:
On Sun, 2 Jun 2024 23:16:04 -0000 (UTC), RonB wrote:

Before the Triumph, I owned three different Aermacchi
"Harley-Davidsons." I bought a 125cc Rapido on time while working at
McDonalds in Great Falls at 16 years old. It was originally an Italian
race bike.

You meet the nicest people on an Aermacchi! I remember seeing them on what
I think was my first and only trip to the local HD dealership. The saleman
pointed me at them when all I wanted was a service manual for my '55 FLH.

Even back then a Harley cost as much as a mid-range sedan and the
clientele tended to be older and have disposable income. I was 18, poor,
and 1% material. Didn't fit the demographic. Lucky for me Brownie Betar
was an Indian dealer after the last Indian died and didn't mind helping
out a kid trying to patch together an old Harley,

The "real" Harley-Davidsons always were out of my price range. This was the
era of the AMF Harley-Davidsons. I never really understood how a bowling
alley machine company got involved with motorcycles. (I guess they did more
than bowling alleys, but that's all I really ever saw of them, besides
Harleys of those years.)

https://www.cyclenews.com/2016/06/article/archives-indian-loyalist-
brownie-betar/

Copied and bookmarked. Thanks.

You probably had the better deal. When i called the family insurance man
he asked what the displacement was. I said '74', and he asked 'ccs'?'
'Er, no..'

It would have tempting... Uh... yeah... that's it, 74cc's.

Back then the insurance payments were next to nothing. Of course they had to
be, I was making a whopping $1.65 an hour at McDonalds — and that was after
my five cent raise. But that was a different era. I think my dad made about
$2.25 ($2.50?) an hour at an Auto Parts Store at that time, and that
actually paid his rent and expenses.

--
[Self-centered, Woke] "pride is a life of self-destructive fakery, an
entrapment to a false and self-created matrix of twisted unreality."