Re: Gentoo Takes Good Care Of Its SOPHISTICATED Users

Sujet : Re: Gentoo Takes Good Care Of Its SOPHISTICATED Users
De : ronb02NOSPAM (at) *nospam* gmail.com (RonB)
Groupes : comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date : 04. Jun 2024, 01:24:03
On 2024-06-03, rbowman <bowman@montana.com> wrote:
On Mon, 3 Jun 2024 15:35:33 -0000 (UTC), RonB wrote:

The "real" Harley-Davidsons always were out of my price range. This was
the era of the AMF Harley-Davidsons. I never really understood how a
bowling alley machine company got involved with motorcycles. (I guess
they did more than bowling alleys, but that's all I really ever saw of
them, besides Harleys of those years.)

If you really don't want to sleep well consider that AMF was also in the
nuclear reactor business.

https://www.ans.org/news/article-4401/nc-states-pulstar-reactor-wins-doe-
award-to-coincide-with-50th-anniversary/

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0306454908000157

AMF couldn't work out a fixed price with the AEC and withdrew from this
one.

https://premierenergyusa.com/demolition-of-nuclear-power-plant-in-elk-
river-mn-in-1972/

They had their finger in a lot of pies, mostly recreational equipment. The
AMF years had a silver lining for Harley. AMF replaced the aging machinery
with NC machines so when the buy back happened in '81 they had modern
equipment. When AMF bought them in '69 it was a fire sale with HD about to
go under.

I bought my Sportster in '97 and it's been reliable as bikes go. I
replaced a throwout bearing and the ignition module but otherwise it's
been the usual maintenance stuff. The LED odometer is washed out unless
it's above 80 degrees but I rigged a cheap bicycle computer to keep track
of mileage.

I just read Wikipedia's entry on AMF. Looks like they were a victim of
industry moving overseas (cheap labor) and yet another leveraged buyout from
the 80s. (Thanks Reagan.) I had no idea all the markets they were in,
including Voit balls and Roadmaster bicycles.

BTW, I read your article on the Indian motorcycle dealer. I'm guessing you
actually met this guy. Interesting story.

I was looking at modern motorcycles a few months ago out of curiosity. It
looks like some of them are now up about 2000cc's. What in the world for?
They were already huge at 1200 and 1000cc's.

--
[Self-centered, Woke] "pride is a life of self-destructive fakery, an
entrapment to a false and self-created matrix of twisted unreality."