Re: Nobara

Sujet : Re: Nobara
De : vallor (at) *nospam* cultnix.org (vallor)
Groupes : comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date : 06. Jun 2024, 03:18:40
On Wed, 5 Jun 2024 15:39:56 -0400, Andrzej Matuch <andrzej@matu.ch> wrote
in <ja38O.39375$Inzb.1117@fx13.iad>:

On 2024-06-05 1:25 p.m., vallor wrote:
On Wed, 5 Jun 2024 16:05:07 -0000 (UTC), vallor <vallor@cultnix.org>
wrote in <v3q2bj$10r0j$2@dont-email.me>:

Which Nobara spin to test?  There are three:

Original KDE special theme Vanilla Gnome Vanilla KDE

?

Just tried the original spin -- Wayland keeps freezing up on me using
the nouveau driver.  (Never got the chance to get it on the NVIDIA
binary blob.)

Most importantly, the networking is stupid.  I don't know if that's
Fedora or Nobara, but it hangs looking for a DHCP address on my SAN
connection.  I configured my Synology Diskstation to give it an
address, so I got past that, and to the point where I could set up the
Internet connection semi-manually.

Also, I did see the warning about "Nobara 39" being past end-of-life,
which I assume is based on Fedora 39's timetable.

What it *has* done is inspired me to look at modern Plasma as a
desktop.  I liked what I saw from the pinnable menus.

TL;DR: wait for Nobara 40.

I'll say this much: I'm glad that I'm not the only one who faced
troubles with it. It confirms that it might indeed be a problem with the
distribution itself and only itself. However, that leaves me with Fedora
alone since I would want to use the asusctl package which is developed
with Fedora in mind. I'm not convinced that Fedora will play nice with
some of my other hardware, regardless of how polished it seems to be.

I installed asusctl on Mint for my tufbook -- there are
instructions on the asus-linux web site.

It's not a supported configuration though, and installing
from source involves adding build systems, Rust, and a bunch
of other buzzwords.  I can't explain why they would make it
so you have to basically be a developer to install it on non-Fedora
systems.

--
-v