Re: "My kids hate the Linux challenge"

Sujet : Re: "My kids hate the Linux challenge"
De : pursent100 (at) *nospam* gmail.com (%)
Groupes : comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date : 06. Jun 2024, 18:38:49
RonB wrote:
On 2024-06-06, Andrzej Matuch <andrzej@matu.ch> wrote:
On 2024-06-06 9:39 a.m., RonB wrote:
On 2024-06-06, Andrzej Matuch <andrzej@matu.ch> wrote:
On 2024-06-06 8:21 a.m., RonB wrote:
On 2024-06-06, Andrzej Matuch <andrzej@matu.ch> wrote:
On 2024-06-05 9:44 p.m., RonB wrote:
On 2024-06-05, Andrzej Matuch <andrzej@matu.ch> wrote:
Since I'm such a terrible shill and stuff.

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS25mCLyQyk>

I have NOT had a stable Linux experience.

<https://youtu.be/rVmJooy5NiU?si=2D0FfhbhrXMFRwvP>

Looks like the Linux community charmed Linus

<https://youtu.be/fJB9fdXWiiw?si=0-JlvJROJyfG2hNF>

Looks like this guy has a lot of problems with Linux. He also looks to be a
game player. Maybe he should stick with Windows.

I don't have problems with Linux stability (and haven't had any stability
problems for about 18 years). If I did I wouldn't still be using Linux. But
I don't play Windows video games, so that might be the key to his (and your)
Linux issues.

He's a professional, gaming is but one of the things he does. The
reality here is that if you're looking to do more than just go on the
web, write texts and send e-mails, Linux is just not an appropriate
machine. He keeps giving it a shot and getting disappointed at how bad
it is for everything else. However, he thought he might be biased so he
asked his kids to use it instead. They too can't stand it. Imagine being
a kid and being open to just about anything that's put in front of you
but even you, with an age that hasn't even reached the double digits,
think that Linux is lacking. As sad as this is, if you value your time
at all, there are but two options: Windows or Mac, same as in the 90s. A
friend of mine recently moved from Windows to the Mac and considers the
Mac Mini the best desktop he's ever owned. He tried Linux several times
before but came to the same conclusion as I have: it's not ready, won't
be ready, and isn't worth the trouble.

Bullshit. He's ONE person. He's taking a Linux "challenge." Obviously that
means he's not used to using Linux. He's just one voice among thousands, but
he happens to agree with your current position on Linux. Many people use
Linux for all kinds of projects. You have a tendency to generalize, assuming
you know what you don't know about why and how people use Linux.

As for his kids, they want to play MineCraft with him and apparently they
can't play MineCraft Dungeons (whatever that is). So, yeah, his kids are
thwarted in what they currently want to use their computers to do. That
means basically NOTHING about Linux and what can be done with it. And, as
I've said (now countless times), if you want to play Windows games, Linux is
not your best platform.

If you search long enough you're always going to find disgruntled people
whining about something — and you happen to be searching for disgruntled
people whining about Linux, so you've found one. Congratulations, you can
use an Internet search engine. Now search for people who love Linux and have
used it for years to balance things out. You'll find plenty of those people
as well.

I know you're frustrated because you want to use Linux because of the BS
Microsoft is doing with Windows — but you're just going to have accept that
Windows is a better platform for Windows video games. That doesn't mean
Linux is not a good OS, it's just got the odds stacked against for playing
these *WINDOWS* games.

As for valuing my time, Updating Windows 10 just two times probably takes as
much time as updating Linux for a couple years. I've used Windows, and I own
a couple Macs. I don't like or use either of those OSes. I like Linux
because it's superior and makes more sense. (But it's not superior for
playing Windows games or running bloated Microcrap Office — so if that's
important to a user, they're probably better off using Windows.)

Good luck with whatever direction you go. You'll have no luck convincing me
that Windows or Mac OS is better than Linux — no matter how many so-called
YouTube "experts" you trot out.

Out of respect for you, I'm choosing not to answer each point
individually. I cite Linus merely because his interests in computing are
similar to mine. Like me, he does not want to be limited by the hardware
he buys and he doesn't want to be mocked when he finds a problem with
software. Unfortunately for both of us, Linux is definitely not
something which can deliver. He and I both love the idea of it, but
can't stand the final product. I'm sure Communists were just as
disappointed that the ideology they were theoretically in agreement with
ended up causing them to starve and lose their individual rights.

Okay. I'm the opposite. I think I would quit using computers altogether if I
had to use Windows. Since Mac OSX at least has a UNIX base, I might be able
to stomach it, but what I've seen of it so far I'm not crazy about it.

Fortunately I don't have to use Windows or a Mac. I get to use Linux. Linux
"delivers" fine for me.

For what it's worth, the fact that I had to change the keyboard on this
particular laptop and got the computer back with a defective fingerprint
sensor is enough for me to consider the Mac very strongly when it will
be time to upgrade. Even the best hardware manufacturers seem to have
trouble making a machine that can withstand two years of use (three
now). The fact that I get a $150 rebate on a Mac simply because I'm a
teacher might be enough to seal the deal for me. Still, for all of the
problems with Windows, I see very few issues with 11. It is, for me, the
best they have made so far. It's easy to get attached to it despite the
serious privacy concerns.
 The ads and spyware would keep me away from Windows 11, if nothing else. I
like the quality of my Latitude E7450 but the newer Ultrabooks (I believe)
are built like the Macs, with soldered on memory and SSD cards. I wouldn't
like that. That was an advantage that Dell (and others) had over Macs.
Windows laptops seem to be looking more and more like Macs — I guess they'll
start working more like Macs when they go to ARM chips.

get an ad blocker and some malware detection and windows 11 is great