Re: It Sounded Like a Good Idea...

Sujet : Re: It Sounded Like a Good Idea...
De : none (at) *nospam* none.none (Tyrone)
Groupes : comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date : 09. Jun 2024, 04:50:00
On Jun 8, 2024 at 10:29:26 PM EDT, "DFS" <nospam@dfs.com> wrote:

On 6/8/2024 1:14 PM, Tyrone wrote:
On Jun 8, 2024 at 12:51:45 PM EDT, "DFS" <nospam@dfs.com> wrote:

On 6/7/2024 11:49 PM, rbowman wrote:
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/06/microsoft-makes-recall-feature-
off-by-default-after-security-and-privacy-backlash/

"Microsoft is reworking Recall after researchers point out its security
problems"

It's mot like you need to be a cybersecurity expert to see a problem or
two.

I'm kind of shocked MS is actually moving forward and releasing such an
app.

What's it for?  Law enforcement?  Employee monitoring?

If it was a separate app that people had to pay for, download and install I
would be fine with it. Embedding it into Windows is an incredibly stupid idea.
This is already a PR disaster and it is only going to get worse.

What the fuck were they thinking?

I agree.  To me it's a deranged idea: storing thousands and thousands of
screenshots that are near impossible to do meaningful searches against.
I don't know what all info it captures, but for the individual user it
would be more useful if each screen capture also stored some metadata,
such as which apps were running, how long they were running, file names
loaded, which app had focus, etc.  Even then, it's mostly just "nice to
know" data.

But combine it with a keylogger and an employer has total insight into
everything an employee does.  Maybe that's their target audience.

Or MS has some plan to use the screenshots with OCR software to do
something pointless.

If they make it uninstallable, people are gonna be pissed.

Agreed on all points.

I would not be surprised to see MS eventually abandon this whole idea.
Remember when Apple was going to scan everyone's photos for kiddie porn?  A
noble idea to be sure, but an incredibly invasive thing to do. After a huge
backlash, Apple backed down.

Windows "Recall" is along the same lines. And the backlash against "Recall"
has only just begun.