Re: Kiddie crap

Sujet : Re: Kiddie crap
De : bowman (at) *nospam* montana.com (rbowman)
Groupes : comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date : 09. Jun 2024, 20:58:34
On Sun, 9 Jun 2024 12:16:15 -0000 (UTC), RonB wrote:

So the sparrows were doing their variation of the killdeer trick (or a
"fool's hen" trick — unless that's another name for a killdeer).

I don't think they are actually sparrows but they're about that size. I'm
not much of a birder when it comes the the LGBs. (little grey birds, not
some pride month agronym)

It's another distraction technique called the 'rodent run'. They pretend
to be a mouse scurrying down the trail. They've got the act down pat and
let you think you're going to catch them at any moment. If you slow down,
they also slow, speed up, and they speed up. It's amusing if you have a
couple more IQ points than the average black lab.

'Fool hens' are Spruce Grouse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spruce_grouse

Unless they're trying to lead you away from a nest they quietly sit and
hope you don't notice them. It's not the greatest strategy. Not my finest
moment but I saw one one a branch and took out my pack gun, a .38 snubbie.
It was loaded with hollow points so I reloaded with lead hand loads, not
wanting to waste factory ammunition. Then I shot the bird that had been
observing this entire process. After you get the feathers off there isn't
much left.

Another distraction behavior I wandered into involved goshawks. No broken
wings there, they dive bomb you coming close enough to hit you with a
wing. I got the hell out of their territory as fast as possible. That's
when I saw the sign on the trail saying it was closed due to the breeding
hawks. I'd come the long way around and they'd only signed the end closest
to the trailhead. Since then I avoid the area during the breeding season
just in case.